News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:35:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fan belt pulleys  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
Fan belt pulleys
« on: December 26, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »
Where can I get new alt. and power steering pulleys. Both squeal a little bit and seem floppy when belt is off.

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Fan belt pulleys
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »
hi, you can get alternator pulleys at www.aspwholesale.com., and even your local Advance auto. Power steering pulleys,  try Summit,... but... squealing is usually belt related, not pulley. How old are your belts? try replacing your belts, and tightening them properly, first. good luck, gz
ps, replacing a power steering pulley is a pita. you will need a special tool, which can usually be borrowed from Advance or Autozone at minimal to no cost.

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 02:55:27 PM »
second, if pulleys seem "loose" w/o belt, that usually means the unit itself, be it alternator or PS pump are wearing out. and may need to be rebuilt and/or replaced.Rebuilding a 10si  or 12si alternator is falrly simple, and you can get a kit almost anywhere, or asp. Rebuilding a PS pump is a little more complex, but can be done. the kit is only about $15. at Advance/Autozone/O'reillys etc. what alternator do you have? the 10si has a metal fan, 12si a plastic "vane" type. again, good luck, gz

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »
Sorry not the pulleys on the alt or ps pump but the tension pulley for a/c  and the idler pulley on the alt bracket. My mistake, had to think a second. Alt is plastic fan and was just rebuilt,new belt and new battery. $220.00 total,not bad.

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »
hi, ok, now it makes more sense! I just did both of mine last week. Here's what you do.
First, the lower IDLER, (not pulley). This the smaller one on the pass side by the alternator. You have 2 choices, rebuild or replace. To rebuild, you will need a 6203 2RS bearing. This is a common bearing, and should be available anywhere bearings are sold. About $5. Then, find a buddy or a local shop with a small press, press old one out, new one in, and you are good to go. Don't be tempted to hammer bearings out/in, you will probably ruin the idler and/or the new bearing. Alternatively, for more money, about $15., go to your local Advance/Autozone, etc,  and ask for a Dayco #89052. This is an idler for late model serpentine setups, and, besides being about 1/8" wider, the same as the original AMC.
Second, the UPPER tensioner pulley. This one is not easily rebuildable. Again, go to your local Advance, etc, and ask for a Dayco #89020, OR Gates #38038, and maybe the bolt, Four Seasons #45920. I reused the bolt out of the old pulley, though I had to ruin the pulley to do so. Essentially you have to cut/grind the pulley bearing face cap off, in order to get the old bolt out.It IS a special bolt, with a flat on it, so I thought it was worthwhile to keep. Up to you. again, good luck, gz

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 07:24:50 PM »
hi, so... any luck finding those parts?gz

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:42:20 AM »
I live on an island and haven't been able to get off yet. The other post is not me,it looks like someone else has the same problem. Thank you.
I

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 02:38:02 AM »
6203-2rsj is a double sealed bearing and more common, therefore usually cheaper,
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 07:55:48 PM »
hi, the Four Seasons bolt # 45920, for the upper tensionning pulley is no longer available from Four Seasons, but, it is still available from NAPA, #209743, about $6.50. Note that this bolt is round, without the AMC flat side, but is easily ground flat on a belt sander. just got one, works great.  gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk