News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:14:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vacuum  (Read 6002 times)

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Vacuum
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:08:48 PM »
So  with my hectic schedule lately i have been able to work on the eagle for about 15-20 minutes a day, however i have just about everything pulled. My question is when it comes to reassembly (i want a clean look) which vacuum lines are absolutely required to be put back on(not for legal but so it will actually drive) and what lines can be capped off. Also i am looking to replace EVERY bolt and nut does any one have links for a master bolt kit or a kit with at least MOST bolts and the remainder i can get from a local nut shop.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: Vacuum
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 03:22:38 PM »
You need 4x4 vac, PCV, choke pull-off and vacuum advance at a minimum.  Sure it'll drive without vacuum advance but driveability and economy may suffer.  I would keep the line to the EGR and if the vapor canister is still present you want the lines connected to that as well or it may fill up with fuel due to it not venting.  If you have AC, you want the heater valve vac connected unless you like to sweat.  But, it'll still drive.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:24:35 PM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »
Oh and I don't know of any master bolt list.  I think that's normally referred to as a parts car  :P
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »
Thanks, i do have A/c However it is already non functioning. I will be looking for a way to delete before assembly but if push comes to shove ill keep it as an ornament. haha.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »
The heater control valve closes coolant off to the heater core when a vacuum is applied (control switch in AC/Max AC positions).  Even if the AC doesn't work, you'll still get heat in the cabin on a hot day with coolant circulating through the core.  The non-AC cars didn't have this valve, so they just lived with it.  It's a minor annoyance but it drove me nuts on my wagon before I fixed the valve.  Nothing like an 80 degree day with heat coming out of the vents at all settings.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »
2 pieces of info for yal. I pulled the intake yesterday, the last bolt closes to the fire wall is a bear to get to,  i ended up removing the egr and it allowed a tight fit for my hand and ratchet. Number 2 Mr wrench and a dish scrubber is AMAZING for cleaning the aluminum parts (Intake ect.)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 04:11:36 AM »
hi www.headbolts.com  has complete engine fastener kits in stainless steel for our AMC motors. one for 1980 and older, one for the 1981 and up, and one for the 4.0. about $70. I recently bought a kit for my 84, #6-3594, and its pretty nice stuff. The only thing to watch for is to make sure the int/ex manifold bolts are as long as they should be. Adds a little eye appeal to the engine.good luck, gz

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »
Your a life saver on that kit!!! i have been looking EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!  :hello2: :hello2: :occasion14:

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »
Boy, I'm dense.  I thought you wanted a master bolt kit for the WHOLE CAR.  That'd be nuts I thought.  Pun intended.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 07:00:28 PM »
Hahah that comment just made my work day a little better  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
On the AC, I recently checked into a bypass setup for a friend. Ended up with a double pulley on the alt and taking the AC belt off. I'm looking at using a semi-truck AC clutch/pulley to put a serpentine belt on my York compressor eventually. (as long as it still cools, I may as well keep it since I have the factory on board air system)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 01:13:47 PM »
There's a swag mod for the A/C comrpessor that allows you to convert it to air compressor (just need an air pig in the rear or where ever)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 02:19:00 AM »
hi, on that engine bolt kit from www.headbolts.com. good stuff, and i have one. only thing, the manifold  bolts are the same length as stock. good, right? well, I have come to find out, manifolds hold seal a lot better with a bolt 1/4' LONGER, and a lockwasheer. Just something to think about. gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk