News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: timing chain  (Read 5969 times)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
timing chain
« on: February 07, 2015, 01:46:59 AM »
hi, I'm in the process of building an 84 258 for my 84 sedan. This is to be a street car, a daily driver. Any opinions out there on the best timing chain? On my last build I went with a  Mopar double roller ( Which is just a repackaged Cloyes) no problems in 15 years. Now, I'm told that with a Cloyes true roller, one can't use the oil slinger, and this may cause a problem on long highway trips. My 82 went several times from Roanoke VA to Chicago, in one day, no problems, and is still going strong, it was built in 2001. I didn't build it myself, it was professionally done, so I don't know if the oil slinger is there or not. The current thought is to use a 4.0 timing chain, which is, as far as I can tell, a single roller, but not a True roller chain. The price difference is huge, about $40. for the 4.0, and about $150. for the Cloyes True Roller, ($172. at Rockauto). So, my option are: 1)stock style silent chain, 2)4.0 single roller, or 3) Cloyes double true roller. I welcome any and all opinions/advice. I'm thinking of using the Crower Compupro2 cam, #44243. thanks. gz

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
Re: timing chain
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:05:54 PM »
Hello,
      My engine is at the point where I have to do a timing chain and gear job also. I'll be very interested in response you get from the members .. thanks for the question !!
                                                                                                                                                      Regards, Iron Horse :o

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
For a street car the Cloyes single chain set will work just fine.  That is the one most of us have gone with when we renew the set.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »
hi, and thanks for the reply. do you mean the single roller for the 4.0? gz

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:03:25 PM »
When I replaced mine on my 87 Eagle, I just made sure the timing chain gear and set was made in USA!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 01:13:24 AM »
when i made both of my strokers i only made sure the chain was tight. than i went with a domestic cheap chain for a 4.0l. i think one of those motors has the oil slinger and the other does not.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
Note that there are 2 different 4.0L chain and gear sets. Around '91 they put 5-10 degrees retard into the cam gear to do away with the EGR valve. Adding a 4.0L timing cover and cam bolt may help in the long run because of the cam button.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »
hi carnuck thanks for the tip will the 4.o timing cover bolt right up to a 258/  and what does a cam button do? thanks gz

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 03:56:05 PM »
The cover will bolt on but you my need different spacers. Save the 4.0L bolts. I'm putting the 4.0L accessories in my Jeep with the older style alt.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Here's the one I installed on my engine rebuild. It's the Cloyes True Double Roller Timing Set, and I fit the oil slinger in front of it without any clearance issues. It had 3 different timing positions; 4 degrees advance or retard, and TDC. I set mine at 4 degrees advance for more low end torque, and I have it hooked up to an Isky cam with .450 lift on intake and exhaust.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-133/overview/make/american-motors
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »
You have to be careful because it depends on the offset of the cam grind. Not all are done straight up. If you get too far advanced, then the motor won't stop pinging and will have trouble getting RPM.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 01:50:14 AM »
btw, the cam button upgrade is still available from MOPAR for the 258, about $8., gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk