News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 12:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 85 noise under load  (Read 1450 times)

4hammond

85 noise under load
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »
My 85 wagon is making what I think is a top end noise under a medium load. At idle sounds good no strange noise but does have a slight miss in it every 30 seconds or so. While drive at a steady speed sounds good but under medium acceleration it starts making what sounds like valve train noises (runs good and feels strong) under heavy acceleration the noise quiets down. Motor is stock with 85k on it. Any ideas on where to start?

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: 85 noise under load
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 02:52:22 PM »
It might just be carbon buildup. I usually go with some fresh spark plugs and a couple of bottles of Techron in a full tank to see if that smooths things out.

Also, check for loose or cracked vacuum hoses.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk