News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 05:26:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1984 Eagle wagon lift  (Read 6749 times)

Offline Elden Stenberg

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
1984 Eagle wagon lift
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
Hi guys:
Trying to lift my 84 Eagle wagon. Installed Forestry/Police heavy duty front coils. Purchased, but have not installed coil spacers yet.
The problem is that the 1/2 axle shafts are going up an alarming angle because the pumpkin is attached to the motor. Wear will be a problem!
I need to get the front end; axle 1/2 shafts and pumpkin parallel with the ground!
The only way to get what I need is to do the following! Has anyone done what I am thinking of doing?
Remove the 2 brackets that bolt the pumpkin to the 258 6 cyl. and lengthen them. Real tough to get at!
Purchase, modify and install a dropped pitman arm.
Purchase or fabricate tube shock extender brackets.
Modify ball joint and other front end components as required.
No, I do not want to install a Jeep leaf spring front end!
Does anyone sell any parts to accomplish the above?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eaglebig: :( :-\   

Offline torcue

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: 1984 Eagle wagon lift
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »
looks like you're in the wrong section, but i'll answer anyway. i came in to  announce my return, but this was a particular are of  study for me.

Never quite got to this on mine.
Everyone before then (this was about 10 years ago) did a solid axle conversion, i was trying to figure without that
The angle and wear on the front joints is less of a concern than a MUCH bigger issue: your tri-pot joints will fall out.
-the story goes that a late 80s GM half shaft (blazer or big car) would bolt right up and are a little longer to solve that issue.
Looks like you are right on the money with your plan,
Back then, Eaton-Detroit springs -the original spring manufacturer- would make a set of 2" lift for an eagle off of original specs for around $400
instead of shock extenders, i would read through the shock catalogs at your local parts stores or website and compare and find one that matches your requirements. IIRC the rears for a Mustang II are a bit longer and drop in the front with a simple DIY mount bracket (mine are air adjust)
Good luck, and let me know how it goes,
-Torcue

Offline Franzl66

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
Have you done anything on the lift idea.   I've been considering the same

Offline jBUSCHHOFF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:40 PM »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:43:35 PM by jBUSCHHOFF »
Screamin' Eagle - 1984 Wagon Sport - Automatic
Boy Blue - 2014 Ford Mustang

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:38:49 AM »
My plan is to lower the engine crossbar slightly along with the diff.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk