News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How much snow is too much  (Read 5112 times)

Offline nwamcsx

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
How much snow is too much
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
Probably going out tomorrow and will take pics.  Unusual snow storm here in Central Oregon.  About 20 Inches.

TOO much for the old SX4?  I know the answer is go try it.  But don't want to get stuck. 

What are your personal  experiences?

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: How much snow is too much
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »
I have a wagon, and Colorado snow is generally more powdery than what I remember of Oregon snow (sometimes known as Sierra Cement). The wagon has bucked 28 inches of the fluffy white stuff. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:40:39 PM »
eaglebeek, we are in central and eastern oregon. high desert. usually light and powdery on my eastern side. honeybadger has been thru enough that it went over the hood in drifts, and pushed with the grill. today i was going thru enough to push with the bumper.

i have been over to burns a few times this winter. (back in dec) and the snow there was the same as it was here on my side.

the cascades are the splitting seam of oregon. east is desert, west is the typical "wet green oregon" people think of.

62 rambler classic 2 door (casper)
63 rambler american 440 (rosie)
79 spirit (drag race car)
82 eagle station wagon (rotty wagon)
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:58:44 PM »
OK...I thought you were on the west side of the Cascades.  :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 11:39:19 PM »
Just be sure you don't do what I did several years ago, and forge through so much snow it actually dams up and pulls the lower tank of the radiator loose.
I didn't even know it until I got home and saw lime green snow dripping in front of the car. Thankfully it didn't overheat, and was only on a 15 minute drive. Have fun and be safe.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline nwamcsx

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »
Just over 20" total.  I was the first one out of my neighborhood.  It did very well.  I did cheat and put cable chains on the back.  On the deep stuff you could see where the transfer case skid plate flattened down the snow.  Amazing cars.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:56:01 PM »
Wish I'd taken the Eagle yesterday. Snow on Snoqualamie pass was coming down with 3 feet on either side. The FWD Kia Soul didn't have a chance so we turned back.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk