News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vibration gremlin  (Read 8343 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Vibration gremlin
« on: January 01, 2012, 03:44:50 AM »
Ive posted in the drive train thread about my vibration, Ive posted in the transmission thread about my vibration...now this vibration has officialy become a "gremlin" as it seems to have no particular cause...Does it when it wants to and then quits. It just comes and goes...some times when im taking off from a stop...other times when im driving over 75....and yet other times it seems to be RPM oriented, then it dissapears all together and does fine and runs like a top. It stopped shuttering when taking of from a stop but now its seeming to vibrate at around 3000 rpms, then it stopped all together about half way home and hasnt done anything since...This Eagle has definatly has a mischievious streak in her.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
Re: Vibration gremlin
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 03:58:32 AM »
Ok, I am not the most mechanically inclined, But this might seem like a stupid suggestion, but have you checked your wheel bearings or maybe some debre/water in your wheels, other question, I haven't read your drive train post, but "If" it is Manual you might also check the pilot bearing in the transmission as well, These are just best "guesses" as I don't have hands on with the vehicle. other suggestion is a long shot but maybe a CVC? You might try getting it up off the ground and testing it, I just don't know a good way to suggest doing that. I would also check for irregularities in the tires, You may have tread separation in progress, these are just off the cuff please take it for what it's worth, (about .2 cents before adding in current inflation)) :P

update: Pinion bearing in the diffs, double check you universals, Splines in the drive line, maybe even check your drive line weights, the wheel weights and drive line weights, I am just throwing out suggestions, sorry if this is already covered.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:14:52 AM by Hawk258 »

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
 Thanks Hawk! didnt even think about the pinon bearings in the rear diff. Im really hoping its nothing in the rear end but its really starting to point at that....I hate working on rear ends. I think putting it up on jack stands and running it is my next mode of action.

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
My SX4 has an intermittent vibration when around 110kph (68mph) (c.2700rpm) or more. It comes and goes in about 90 second intervals at constant speed/rpm. I'm beginning to think it might either a wheel imbalance that get in-sync / out-of-sync. Or maybe even the belts on the engine. The alternator belt is a tad loose so I'm going to fix that and see if things change.
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »
I just got back from a ride in the the Eagle. I wrapped up the engine pretty good going through all the gears. It does seem to vibrate at around....3000 RPM's ??? cant say for sure as the Tach gets stuck at 2000  ;D That would make some sense as the car is probably running at around 3000+ RPM's at 70-75 MPH with a 4 speed. Im wondering if maybe the harmonic balancer could be bad. It still doesnt explain the occational shutter when taking off from a stop but at 32 years old theres a good chance there is more than 1 "Gremlins" at work here. Im gonna change out the front and rear diff fluid here in the next few week which will give me a chance to see whats going on inside there. This is sure frustrating....Ive always wanted a gremlin but not inside my eagle  :rotfl:

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 02:16:42 AM »
LMAO, Good point, I just hope you don't have too much play in the yoke of the pinion. You might take a peek in your distributor too for play, It "Might" cause some shutter at take off, Not sure about the higher RPMs but it's one other area that generally gets over looked in trouble shooting. it could make a world of difference in performance in my mind. Again this is just running some ideas that "Might" give a few less places for those gremlin's to hide. This is like finding one key on a keyring of a hundred in the dark with no flashlight.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:17:47 PM »
It sure feels like that Hawk! The Ambassador side of me wants to throw in the towel and let my mechanic find the problem for the low low price of an arm and a leg....However the Rambler part of me is telling me not to give the mechanic a dime and to fix it myself.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »
The stock distributors are known to crossfire at 2800+ rpm.  That is the biggest advantage of the TFI upgrade.

I also recommend having the wheels ballanced. 

on another note, I have the trailer in my possesion now so we can get serious........   :)
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:57:46 PM »
Hows your schedule next week lookin Gronk? Ill get out there and air up the tires and get the blue one started so we can drive it up on the trailer...Maybe we can take the old SX4 for a quick spin too and see what you think about it. Ill give ya a call this week and maybe we can get stuff lined up.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 12:26:31 AM »
What works for you?  Weekend is best for me but I can be flexible durring the week with a heads up.  I'd be glad to help out w/ the gremlin.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 04:34:01 AM »
Do I have to state the obligatory "Don't forget the barley pop"? J/K Good luck you 2 I would like to know what the verdict is.

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »
Being a master of the obvious: Engine/trans mounts? :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »
When Gronk comes up to pick up the other 2 cars maybe he'll have some suggestions after driving it. I know I get very OCD with my cars...what would be a small squeak to everyone else sounds like the engine falling through the bottom to me...Maybe between the 2 of us we can diagnose somthing.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 12:05:06 AM »
Ok so I have linked the vibration to RPM's. It does it when the car is in neutral and reved as well as being driven. 3000 + RPM's seems to be when it does it.....Im definatly thinking harmonic balancer at this point....Do you guys think Im on the right track with that?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 12:31:31 AM »
Or a messed up flywheel/flexplate? If auto and it has a lockup converter, they wobble when going bad and clutches have been known to come apart and cause vines too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »
This one has the notorious sr4 manual 4 speed. It does have some clutch chatter especially one the car has warmed up, so I do suspect somthings going on with that as well.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
Clutch springs popped out will give you a REAL bad vibe! I see a LOT of that (just had a guy with a 7.3 diesel complaining. Turned out someone borrowed his truck and dropped the clutch numerous times till the hub of the discs were cracked!)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »
Had a blast driving your SX/4 the other day friend....   I have an interesting story to tell you about taking the wagon out to Yoder on monday.... :-\
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 02:58:08 AM »
Ok... got a hand full of suggestions
1: Check the pilot bearing or throw out bearing or both
2: (Long shot) Main bearing in the transmission

Start at the pilot bearing and go back

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk