News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:11:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Serpentine pulley alignment  (Read 4558 times)

83 SX/4

Serpentine pulley alignment
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:02:35 PM »
I have been getting the last few problems worked out of my Eagle so that I can get it back on the road. It is running and seems to be doing well EXCEPT that the belt is not running where it should on the water pump and the harmonic balancer. It looks like the alternator and power steering pump both are sitting too far back and this is causing the belt to run on the back edge of the water pump and harmonic balancer pulleys. Is there a way to adjust the pulleys themselves or do I need to try and space the entire brackets forward? This problem has just killed a belt in less than 10 miles of running.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:20:41 PM by 83 SX/4 »

83 SX/4

Re: Serpentine pulley alignment
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
Well...I may have figured out my alignment problem. The harmonic balancer is not fully seated onto the crank and is sticking out a bit too far. :banghead: Since it is already torqued to spec and beyond I will pull it to see if anything is blocking it and try to mount it again. I guess it will be a little longer before I am back on the road.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:34:44 PM »
My '83 J10's 4.2L Serpentine pulley has the grooves closer to the engine (like a 4.0L) The one in my Eagle had a 3/8" thick piece closer to the block.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:12:17 AM »
OK so the crank pulley is not seated all the way in, how about the water pump?
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

83 SX/4

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:03:11 AM »
OK so the crank pulley is not seated all the way in, how about the water pump?

The water pump pulley seems to be seated properly. I will have to take another look at it tomorrow. It may be that the belt was being pulled back by the harmonic balancer pulley. Or other pulleys may be off. More to check.

Are any of the pulleys designed to be adjustable for alignment or is the alignment supposed to be fixed?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:42:21 AM »
They are supposed to be in alignment from the get go. Is this a replacement engine? If so, the harmonic balancer may need to be tapped in 3/8" past the end of the crank IF an older non-serpentine crank was used. It's one of the things that has to be watched out for with strokers too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

83 SX/4

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »
So the harmonic balancer was not on all the way. Not sure what it got hung up on but I pulled it off and reinstalled it and now it is lined up properly and the belt is staying where it should on both the balancer and the water pump. Finally got in a decent road test and all seems to be going well.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »
Great news and a somewhat easy fix.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk