News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 11:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there a difference  (Read 2483 times)

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Is there a difference
« on: April 01, 2011, 12:40:23 AM »
I'm planning on doing a 4.0 head and cam swap and I was wondering would there ba difference between a H.O. head and a normal one?? And I was also wondering I have a 2barrel carb manifold fir a 258 would that fit on 4.0 head??
"our greatest glory is not in never failing,but in getting up every time we do."-Confucius

"the definition of insanity is to do something over and over and expect a different result."-Ben Franklin

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
Re: Is there a difference
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:08:33 AM »
there would be a noticible difference between the 87-90 renix head and the 91-95 7120 head. The 7120 head has higher intake ports to allow a softer angle into the cylinders so a/f mixture can remain at a higher entry velocity.

If you're going to go as far as swapping to a 4.0 head and cam, you should go efi as well, as you could just grab that right off the donor vehicle you'd be getting everything else from. otherwise, you'll likely end up with worse gas mileage, and 50+ horsepower sitting on the table. The 4.0 high output engine was high output because of the design of the EFI system, head and cam all working together. If you're missing one of those components, it's not high output and you may not see the gains you want. The "computerized stuff" seems complicated, but it's really not.... But, to answer your question, yes a 258 intake manifold does fit on a 4.0 head, though you'll have to do some careful machining where the alignment holes are, in order for it to sit on the dowel pins properly.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:32:05 AM »
Ok so how much work would be involved in a efi swap??
"our greatest glory is not in never failing,but in getting up every time we do."-Confucius

"the definition of insanity is to do something over and over and expect a different result."-Ben Franklin

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:40:28 PM »
There are a lot of writeups out there on the EFI swap, It's involved as you need the wiring harness and computer from a donor jeep, and to either modify your transmission bellhousing or spend $ on a front crank sensor.

The aluminum intake is a direct fit, you just need to grind the bottom of the tabs to align on the dowels for the higher intake runners.

If you're going to a 4.0 head, I would suggest the newer HO head over the earlier Renix head unless you happen to have one sitting around for free. The HO package added 6-7% to the Renix 4.0 and much of the improvement is in the head and the cam. The 258 cam is very conservative, and the 258 heads don't flow well, even ported and polished.

If you're not up for the electrical work now, you can run the carb and you'll see a noticeable improvement. There is also the option of running a GM TBI injection system on your existing intake, and I've seen reports of only a few % difference in economy and power once the TBI computer is flashed with 258 information. It's a less sophisticated system but AMC actually really designed the heck out of the aluminum intake on the 258.

So I wouldn't let EFI make or brake the 4.0 head swap, an intake change down the road isn't major and the front sensor while not cheap is easy to do.

It's all about where you want to draw the line right now.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk