News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 02:49:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rebuilt engine....picking an oil and breaking it in  (Read 15132 times)

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Rebuilt engine....picking an oil and breaking it in
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 06:57:29 PM »
Heh, yeah I keep reminding myself I have to take the jerrycan and fill it up one of these days. I'll get a few litres of gallons and see if that works ;)

Also, casper I get what you mean :) and thankfully my landlord is old-school and knows carbs as well as a tranny mechanic can, he has done engine re-installs before, but I don't think ever with a brand new rebuild. I'm taking notes on all of this stuff to take over for the initial startup....which I am INSISTING I'm there for. Another week or two for a couple of parts (yay long weekend holding things up!) and it should be start-up time!
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
Gravity feeding the carb is cheaper and just as effective on acarb. Just place a gas can on roof and siphon start.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »
I think the landlord might like the siphon idea a little too much, I can see havoc lol (he is a little nuts!) It might be the way to go though....have to wait and see!
I just wish my parts would get here so I could get things going. I ordered from Rock Auto, which usually isn't a problem, but we live outside of town (hard to find, no street address) and FedEx/UPS doesn't have a depot in town and they haven't called me to arrange delivery. It should have all been here last week. For all I know they've sent it all back!! Uuugh, I love living out of town, but its impossible to get anything sent here easily!
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Smitch

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 05:27:35 PM »
I bought a rebuilt engine a few years ago for an Aerostar. I asked my brother, (who rebuilt engines for a living for 20 years), if there was anything special I should do to break it in. He said be sure to change the oil after the first ten or fifteen minutes of running in case there were any filing left in it anywhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk