News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 02, 2024, 03:34:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is this tube on the gas tank  (Read 134 times)

Offline Evenprime

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
What is this tube on the gas tank
« on: February 15, 2024, 01:13:59 PM »
I can't find my book and also couldn't figure out how to search these archives so I apologize if this is an easy answer.

Im trying to figure out what this pipe was used for. It was disconnected when I took the tank off (I think) and when I tried to blow into it, it was clogged.

I've since tank sealed the interior hence the drying tube I had connected. So not only is it clogged from before, its got a piece of seal-all I will need to break throw as well.

Thanks

Even

Offline 89 MJ

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: What is this tube on the gas tank
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 02:28:47 PM »
It looks like that is a vent to me, but I can't quite tell. It may seem closed because it may be a rollover vent so it won't leak if the car ends up wheels-up
1986 Eagle: 258, Auto, Chrysler 8.25 rear, 3.54 gears
1989 Jeep Comanche: 4.0, AX-15, 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears
1940 Chevy PU: 350, 700R4

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 04:12:25 PM »
Yes, that should be the vent tube.  There is a hard line that goes to the charcoal cannister in the engine compartment.  You can use a short piece of vacuum hose to connect this tube to the hard line going to the front.

Have you tried to blow through it with compressed air, that might break through the clog.  Otherwise maybe use a piece of hard wire?  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 05:18:13 PM »
I second disconnecting the lines form both ends and blowing them out with compressed air.

Above the rear axle on the passenger side the vent line will go into a vapor separator/rollover valve before running back to the charcoal canister.
I have seen both the vapor line and the rollover valve rust out, so if that's missing it might of done so long ago and they either deleted the vapor line completely or just bypassed the rollover valve entirely. The valve is not available anymore. I've seen people specify a Delorean (!) rollover valve as a replacement.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 05:22:39 PM by MIPS »

Offline Evenprime

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 02:05:35 PM »
Thank you for the info.

Im going to cut the pipe close to the tank to where it goes straight in and try to push a piece of metal through to open it back up.

I did try putting compressed air through it to break anything lose and also tried reverse with vacuum to no avail.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk