News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My first Eagle "RYNO".  (Read 9164 times)

Offline RYNOEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
My first Eagle "RYNO".
« on: December 05, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
I'm new to the forum, and the Eagle world in general. I only car I had before this was a 2.5L Wrangler YJ, but I got sick of it dying on me. Searched on Craigslist for an Eagle, and this one popped up. Called the lady, drove the 90 minute trip 4 times before I finally got it home a week later.

1982 SX/4. 4.2L 5-speed.

Thing is, it was sitting for about 14 years before I bought it. and it was housed under a tarp during that time, so a family of mice called it home. It was filled with chewed carpet nests, empty acorns, and droppings. It smelled awful.

So I had to strip out EVERYTHING. Carpet, headliner, all the interior stuff, dash. Got a new carpet, and piece by piece, scrubbed everything down.

I don't need AC in Massachusetts, so I deleted that. Got the engine running well, and finally gave it a fresh paint job.

A little bit more work, and it now runs really well! The transmission was sticky at first, but a couple weeks of driving has it loosened right up and ready to tackle the Massachusetts winter roads!

I couldnt find bumper end caps anywhere, so I decided forget it! I'm taking all the flairs off, and it those go, so do the side trim. Gives it a nice clean look, I like it.

Oh yeah, I opted to put in a custom headliner, too.

People love this thing, everywhere I go I have people waiting by my car to talk to me when I come out. Glad to be part of the Eagle family, I can't wait to cruise in it this summer.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:01:13 AM by RYNOEagle »

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: My first Eagle "RYNO".
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
Cool ride! Love the headliner! It's got great character!!!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline RYNOEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
Thanks! I'll post a couple more pictures once I get it running again. I'm in the middle of looking for a nice metal valve cover to convert to, so it's off the road til I find one and wait to get it shipped.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »
Congrats on getting it up and running again. My Eagle didn't turn out soo easy! I like the dual tipped dual exhaust!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
Good save. I also like the headliner, but would have a problem if it were mine. I'd want to stop for pizza every couple of hours.
I like the dual tipped dual exhaust!

I always wondered what the Monza tips would sound like on an AMC 6. Those tips were the "cool mod" back in day on imports.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »
cool looking little eagle.

If it helps any I bought the valve cover from summit racing they had a good price and free shipping for orders over $100

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »
Welcome. Don't forget the epedia there are tips in there for the valve cover.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »
Very nice eagle!

My son and I redid an sx4 for him, we put the spirit/concord end caps on the bumpers and I think they look fine, there is some pics of it in the projects thread. They are a lot easier to find

You've done a great job with it !
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline RYNOEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 10:35:48 PM »
Thanks guys! I did end up actually going for the valve cover at Summit. When it gets here in about 2 days, I'll check out the info on the eaglepedia. Shouldnt be too hard though, I already have holes drilled from the factory, just gotta tap some threads in.

Behind the dual monza tips is dual mufflers, all stainless steel, which I'm very thankful for. And it does sound pretty nice! Only problem with the dual mufflers and the wide tips is if I ever wanna change the t-case or tranny, or I wanna put a lift in the rear. I'll have to cut and reweld.

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 01:25:46 AM »
I knocked the studs out of the rocker arm supports so nothing could drop in the motor later. The head on our Eagle was good to go from the factory. I will tell you this be patient putting the valve cover on, mine was a major pain and it involved some firewall massaging. With a hammer

I used a some ultra black sealant very thin on both sides of the cork gasket and wiped the head down with acetone before putting it all together. I'd recommend a dry run before laying any sealant on it.

Offline RYNOEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »
I've done a few valve covers, and my engine bay is really clean after the gronk upgrade and A/C delete, I should be fine.

I've got the old bolt drilled out and helicoil placed in, so I could use the stock valve cover, but I havent heard anything good about it, I tapped out the other holes on the driver's side and I'll be using the new one, shouldnt leak for quite awhile.

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »
Hi RYNOEagle,
            Nice work on the SX4 .. wish I had the skill to paint, really made a difference. I noticed you mentioned your bumpers.. You know, you could probably use bumpers from a AMC Spirit, since it was the same car except no 4WD .. just an idea. Spirit bumpers ends didn't attach to the car so you could still leave the fender cladding off  without it lookin' too bad. That head liner is makin' me hungry .. very creative .. really I'm going for pizza. Eggs to you .. OOps guess it's "Thumbs Up" now !!
                        Regards, Iron Horse :o
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:57:33 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline RYNOEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »
Thank you haha. Yeah, I've thought about it and couldnt find any of those either. I'll keep an eye open for em, but for now I just took the metal supports that all the old plastic fell off and painted em black and it doesnt look too bad.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »
You would need the whole spirit bumper to use spiit bumper ends. The spirit bumper is longer than an eagle bumper

Manitowoc WI

Offline RYNOEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
Ohh dang. Looks like it's staying then.

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 11:08:26 PM »
What is a gronk upgrade?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 11:28:29 PM »
It is a carb upgrade with mixed reviews. Some love his adaptor plate to death. Search  so i am told gronk on ebay and decide for yourself. Otherwise buyer beware. i have heard and have seen someone get a bad rebuild frim him (a non member i know). Otherwise people here have dealt with him, and it worked.  Usuaully he responds when there is a problem. Unless idk, he never responded to my jeep buddy.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
your buddy's emails could have gone to his junk file.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline RYNOEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »
I love the upgrade. Cleans everything up, makes it run great. I haven't had an issue though, so I can't say much about his customer service skills.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk