News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On Eagles Wings  (Read 21131 times)

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
On Eagles Wings
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »
I just joined here a couple weeks ago. My wife and I purchased a  84' Eagle wagon that was slated as a project vehicle off and Ebay bid  that we ended up not hitting the reserve, but took second chance offer for. We had to have it shipped to our home 650miles away from NJ to Indiana.
Arival time

I unloaded it off the trailer and was instruct by my wife to not leave the driveway with it, she was to be the first to drive it.

So here are the overall shots of the car

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: On Eagles Wings
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »
Very nice looking Eagle man. What all does it need? Looks like a great start to a nice Daily Driver!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »
I have looked it over pretty well so far and it seams like it's pretty good.  I ended up replacing the carb with a non eletric version of the carb that was on there it now idles very smooth and reuns better. I'm going to upgrade the ignition to a multispark ignition controller with a rev limiter along with a better coil.
Then next on the list are:
New coolant hoses
Find the squeal in the steering and repair (it's not a belt sqeal)
Repair or replace the fuel tank
Install gauges Water temp, Oil press, and Voltmeter.
New headliner
Check the small amout of rust on the under carriage
Re route vacuum lines for 4wd system PO left a little mess
Remove unneeded vacuum hoses since carb replacement
Repair AC system so it works
Add cruise control
repack bearings, change engine oil, and axle oil

Thats the short list it really isn't to bad I am a little concerned how long the trans will go but that is a common concern of mine for almost any vehicle. I've been waiting for the day the trans gives out on my Taurus and 204k miles later its still pulling like a mule, but I've never cracked it open or changed the fluid in either .     

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:09:37 PM »
Sharp Eagle. Search for the shift on the fly mod for the front axle. It will take the front vacuum shift motor out of the equation and eliminate some vacuum lines.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »
Very nice eagle, I like that color, you've got a really nice one to start with for sure

Those look like rock auto boxes in the back too!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:36:25 PM »
The PO included a complete new exhuast system, and a new Master cylinder. That is what is in the rock auto boxes.  I'll look into the front axle mod. 

It has brand new tires on it and the brakes had been gone through from what I could gather from the seller.

Thanks for the compliments.  It really looked better in person that it did on ebay.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 08:21:07 AM »
Very nice looking Eagle!  Congrats and enjoy it!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »
I'm putting gauges in the bird. Last week we had a little overheat problem and it had been on my to do list.

It is more complete now but the weather has been playing havoc with trying to get paint to dry today. I got it wired in and checked

I can honestly say AMC in their infinate wisdom made putting a set of gauges in to easy by leaving a place on the fuse block to plug in the 12v feed for the gauges and the dimmer feed for the gauge lights. I didn't have to splice any wire it was pretty cool. :blob1:

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:57:17 PM »
Grrrrreat Car!!! Love the two-tone! Keep 'er up!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 11:30:54 PM »
Thanks We loved the color of the car. It gets a new radiator and hoses tomorrow it turns out the radiator had a pin hole in it.

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • She will be mine, oh yes she will be mine.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 03:57:26 AM »
Nice carpentry on the gauge box. My old man is constantly trying to find a way to incorporate wood into a vehicle.
Only you truly know your Eagle.

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
It won't look like wood once I'm finished, a little skim coat of body filler and you never bea able to tell what its made of.  I found some spray paint yesterday that is very close to the color of the interior. 

Offline Eagle Groupie

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Allentown, PA
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »
You forgot to include cup holders. ;)

Looks awesome, btw. I hope you'll post more pics after it's painted.

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
I was trying to think of a way to mount a cup holder but the space is kinda odd. I'll need to add those when I have a brilliant moment.

I got the new radiator in and since everythin is looking real good currently I ordered a new heater core, water pump, and gas tank. The engine oil pressure is 35 to 40psi at idle and 50psi when driving water temp is pretty solid around 190°f  Volts are 14+ when driving no load. I think the engine is a winner so far.

Next on the list new exhaust system, new valve cover, upgrade ignition, and figure out the front end groan when turning.. 

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »
Hey folks I am going to replace the radio with a more modern unit.  I was looking at the 2 knob vintage upgrades, but then I noticed tthat a guy on ebay has a dash for a more modern din unit. Is it possible there is a dash that is the same color as our car.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk