News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:40:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: new idea for a lift ...  (Read 12390 times)

rohnk

Re: new idea for a lift ...
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:38 PM »
I've been reading this thread and it sounds like an interesting idea. My problem is that I don't understand all the names of the parts you guys are mentioning. Do any of you have pics that could clarify things a bit for us which are not as familiar with ball joints and suspension components?

That's why I love these forums, learn a lot more stuff than I can keep up with!

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »
mach1, was there really any driveability issues with the eagle having the ball joint spacers?? im talking every day driving?? was there bad bump steer issues? im a little leary of the ball joint spacers, even tho i thought about it and asked once also. i still think it may be safer with just spring lifting. just something about ball joint spacers that can be a weak point at highway speeds pushes me away from that thought...

The issues were bad.  I ran the ball joint spacers through 2 incarnations.  The first set were so bad anything other than a flat road made the vehicle wander and hard to control.  The next set built had shims and spacers that were machined to fine tune the alignment so they would be the same side to side.  This was better but still didn't make me comfortable driving it on the street.  That is how my modified knuckles came into play for the next try.

I also had steering issues with having to drop the steering gear and idler which I'm sure complicated the problem. 

As many have said.  The solid axle is probably the way to go as far as simplicity... even though that isn't exactly simple either.   
Curious as to how thick were your spacers ??I have 1" ones wich seem to be close to a 2" lift.

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »
Mine were for my 3" body lift setup.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom