News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:15:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PCV confusion  (Read 3404 times)

Offline pfay82

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
PCV confusion
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:12:22 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have a question about my PCV system. The back hole in the valve cover has a little elbow with a filter attached. That's all back there. The front has the PCV valve, but there's no hose on it. I have a Motorcraft carb. Where would the hose hook up to if I had one?
Thanks.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: PCV confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 04:27:12 PM »
Originally, there was a hose that went from there to the air cleaner housing, and the little filter was inside the housing.

Most aftermarket air cleaners have an adapter and punch-out hole for that hose.

The PCV hose went to the bottom of the carb.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:28:05 PM by AMC of Houston »
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 08:07:09 PM »
Refresh my memory please. Wasn't there a amc bulletin to take a valve type thing on the pcv hose out of play. I assume this happened to pfay2, but you never know, since it wasn't mentioned. Just a thought.

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 12:32:51 AM »
Yeah.  That recall bulletin removed the electric shut-off valve (which closed off the PCV air flow at idle) from the PCV line, and replaced it with a new PCV hose that had an orifice inside it (basically reducing the PCV flow at all times over what it would be with a full-diameter hose).   I still have a couple of those recall kits in my parts stash.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 11:21:00 AM »
Yeah.  That recall bulletin removed the electric shut-off valve (which closed off the PCV air flow at idle) from the PCV line, and replaced it with a new PCV hose that had an orifice inside it (basically reducing the PCV flow at all times over what it would be with a full-diameter hose).   I still have a couple of those recall kits in my parts stash.
Do you have a copy of that bulletin? My car has the PCV shutoff solenoid valve but I unhooked the electrical connector because it was causing too much flow back through the air filter on the line coming from the back of the valve cover.

I'm not sure I want to do the recall kit, I'm thinking I probably should...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:21:19 AM by 86Woodgrain »

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 12:41:36 PM »
This is the easy way. Pull PCV air out of the valve cover through elbow #47057 (attached). Always open, and as required, the airflow is always limited by the small hole size. Hole's size & surrounding shape also limits oil splash up the hole, so better than a larger hole with an airflow limiting restriction somewhere down the line. (Some people modify their old PCV valve to use here; always open and small hole for limited airflow. Most reports are that the limiting elbow works better.)

So you can remove the PCV valve so there's no valve to fail closed. You want filtered air going into the valve cover:
  • There's small air filter cans made to fit rubber gromets where the valve was. Independent of the air cleaner, but another thing to buy and crank case air can leak to atmosphere when the engine is off.
  • Or run an air line to the air cleaner on the filtered side to get filtered air. Crank case air stays within the air cleaner (with its closed breather vent that limits carb fumes getting to atmosphere) when the engine is off.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:47:57 PM by Canoe »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk