Information and News > Hatchlings

Greetings from Eastern Colorado

(1/2) > >>

Mopars_n_Marlins:
Hey all!  As the name suggests, I'm a Mopar guy, but recently joined the ranks of AMC with a clean little 1980 2 door.  62k miles, good runner.  We picked it up new years day, already took care of the leaking exhaust manifold gasket, put a new valve cover on, full tune up, fluids, KYB shocks.  We'll drive it as-is while I decide between fuel injecting and turbocharging or just swapping in a 5.9 magnum and 45RFE trans to run at modern speeds better.

89 MJ:
Hello! That is a gorgeous 80. You sure don't see a ton of 80s out there. Engine swaps are difficult in these cars due to how the front differential is mounted. Fuel injection and a turbo seems like the better route to me. You could do a Jeep 4.0 and an AW4 swap easier than the 5.9

Mopars_n_Marlins:

--- Quote from: 89 MJ on January 20, 2024, 04:26:48 PM --- Engine swaps are difficult in these cars due to how the front differential is mounted.

--- End quote ---

I've stuffed a 511 stroker in a Dodge Aspen, transplanted an entire XJ 4x4 drivetrain into a '46 Ford half ton, etc.  I ain't skeert!

Lucky for me, I own and operate a substantial machine shop with 2 & 3 axis CNC lathes, a 4 axis VMC, a 5 axis subspindle millturn, gobs of manual machines, mag break, MIG, TIG, stick and gas welders, heat treat oven, etc. And if I can't make the shape with what I've got, a good friend is the owner of Nemesis Industries just up the road with a massive water jet and 200 ton press break.  There's not a lot we can't make happen!

Taylor:
Welcome to the forums. Good luck with mods, sounds like a good challenge for you. Can’t wait to see the progress.

89 MJ:

--- Quote from: Mopars_n_Marlins on January 20, 2024, 08:16:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: 89 MJ on January 20, 2024, 04:26:48 PM --- Engine swaps are difficult in these cars due to how the front differential is mounted.

--- End quote ---

I've stuffed a 511 stroker in a Dodge Aspen, transplanted an entire XJ 4x4 drivetrain into a '46 Ford half ton, etc.  I ain't skeert!

Lucky for me, I own and operate a substantial machine shop with 2 & 3 axis CNC lathes, a 4 axis VMC, a 5 axis subspindle millturn, gobs of manual machines, mag break, MIG, TIG, stick and gas welders, heat treat oven, etc. And if I can't make the shape with what I've got, a good friend is the owner of Nemesis Industries just up the road with a massive water jet and 200 ton press break.  There's not a lot we can't make happen!

--- End quote ---

Sounds good! I just wanted to make sure you weren't getting in over your head, and it sounds like you're not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version