News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 07:54:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the banshee (now for sale!)  (Read 15052 times)

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: the banshee
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »
http://dandavidson.net/wp-content/uploads/p27673-Cheyenne_Wyoming-Wyoming_Untouched.jpg
When you're off-roading remember that tree branches and roof lights don't mix.
I don't think that's a problem in Chyenne.

I take it all your off-roading is done in your home state?   ;D
haha this gave me some laughter. actually cheyenne is nothing like the picture depicts. we have a park allot of off roaders go to and none of my buddies think the ol' eagle could keep up with their rigs ha.

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »

I haven't heard of anyone that has successfully fixed a tach that wasn't working.  I recently discovered that a Ford F-150 tach makes a nice replacement and is an easy swap.  Pick one up while you're at the local junkyard.  Here is my How-To on doing the swap.

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=38475.0
[/quote]

thanks for the info! the tach actually moves just doesnt read right. if that makes sense? ha thoughts?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
http://dandavidson.net/wp-content/uploads/p27673-Cheyenne_Wyoming-Wyoming_Untouched.jpg
When you're off-roading remember that tree branches and roof lights don't mix.
I don't think that's a problem in Chyenne.

I take it all your off-roading is done in your home state?   ;D
Good point. I've taken mine to GA, AL, CO and I'll be taking it to NV in a week or so.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »
thanks for the info! the tach actually moves just doesnt read right. if that makes sense? ha thoughts?

I picked up one like that in the junkyard yesterday - it moves but definitely not right.  It seems to have a mind of its own. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Prafeston

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
Looks like you got a nice deal on the Eagle. The PO did a nice job with the lights and the push bar. Looks real good!

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:06 PM »
Looks like you got a nice deal on the Eagle. The PO did a nice job with the lights and the push bar. Looks real good!
thanks man! plan is two batteries and more lights! and of course a bigger alternator haha. its gonna be the zombie survival car

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »
-do a transmission filter and fluid change

You might not want to do that, if it's never been done, all of that crud in there might be holding your transmission together hah. You might change it and your transmission fails not too long after. Unless you have the service records, it's better off not to touch it in my opinion. I've seen way too many transmissions fail after a flush or fluid change.

My grandfather was a transmission mechanic for 45+ years and really tried to talk a lot of customers out of doing it on old cars with no service records, or high mileage cars. If you aren't having any problems with it, don't try to fix what isint broken. If you are having problems, there's a chance it'll just make it worse.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
-do a transmission filter and fluid change

You might not want to do that, if it's never been done, all of that crud in there might be holding your transmission together hah. You might change it and your transmission fails not too long after. Unless you have the service records, it's better off not to touch it in my opinion. I've seen way too many transmissions fail after a flush or fluid change.

My grandfather was a transmission mechanic for 45+ years and really tried to talk a lot of customers out of doing it on old cars with no service records, or high mileage cars. If you aren't having any problems with it, don't try to fix what isint broken. If you are having problems, there's a chance it'll just make it worse.

That happened to me with an Ford van I bought. It drove great. I decided to do the "right" thing and replace all fluids and filters. A mechanic friend told me not to touch the transmission for the same reason Sunny stated. I didn't listen and the transmission slipped after the filter change. I wound up selling it shortly after.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 02:20:55 AM »
i have heard LOTS of these stories about the trans messing up after fluid/filter change. i have done 2 eagles, and my wifes mountaineer. i guess i got lucky. mine all shifted TONS better and ended up getting a little better mpg. my wifes mountaineer (picture ford exploder with better suspension and ALL the fancy stuff ford could throw at it including 5.0 v8, and the aode) it had 153xxx miles on it, and od was crap. shuddered, in and out in and out constantly. the ASSEMBLY LINE trans dipstick tube plug was still in the trans pan. when i pulled the pan, i didnt know WHERE that came from. asked the transmission shop around the corner from my house, they told me thats a plug ford put in the dipstick tube on the assembly line. it had NEVER been changed. after the filter/fluid change, everything works perfect and went from 17.5 hwy mpg to 22 hwy mpg. thats with a 5.0 v8 and AWD. my 83 sx4, i dont know what it did for mpg as i did gronks 2150 carb on it along with the tfi and trans filter/fluid change. it went from 14 hwy mpg to 20 or 22. i forget now.

Idk ive only worked on older 80's cars and i have always done a tranny flush. never had any problems. plus this beauty only has 104,000 miles. ill think about your advice but i think im gonna go ahead with it. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance.
on a different note has anyone successfully replaced the transfer case with a different one? that doesnt have these problematic vacuum issues? i keep having to go under my car and manually switch it back to 2wd and i dont even touch the 4wd switch...? any ideas on replacing with a different one or anyone know if napa sells new ones?
i guess my point is, its maybe a hit or miss. the crud may be holding it together, or holding it back. do you feel like your in vegas and want to play the rulet?? if it shifts fine, and feels fine, i probably wouldnt mess with it. if its slugish, or slipping, it will only get worse no matter what. i see a fluid/filter change as a resort that wont make it any worse, but MAY speed up the time for repair??

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 02:25:14 AM »
oh! and please stay tuned for more close up pictures and what not tomorrow evening im going to go through and take lots. let me know if theres anything in particular anyone wants to see :)

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
NEW PHOTOS!
good news i did a tranny flush and filter change and everything works 10x's better! cleaned up the engine and washed the Banshee today. i got so many compliments today and everyone still stares because of the exhaust manifold crack. :( gonna fix that sometime soon. thinking of just switching over to the 4.0 head along with a new manifold.

how dirty the old filter was forgot to take a picture of the new one in comparison lol

rohnk

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
No vac advance on the carb?  ???

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 10:04:15 PM »
No vac advance on the carb?  ???
no :) i removed all the vac lines runs so much better :P

rohnk

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 10:12:13 PM »
So where did you set your timing if there is no advance? Seems like it would be missing at speed or idling too high.

Sorry for the questions, just interested in your set up. Nice looking car by the way, except for the hood scoop, I never really cared for those things too much anyway.

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
its set with a screw like a carb should lol. my buddy set it all up. ill get back with you on all the details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk