News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: carb rebuild  (Read 6823 times)

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • She will be mine, oh yes she will be mine.
carb rebuild
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »
So, remind me again the primary signs that your carb (a carter bbd) needs a rebuild.  I want to make sure that's what my fuel delivery issues are before I send it to the carb guy, since most issues outside of that (with thanks to the tutelage this site has offered) i can do myself.
Only you truly know your Eagle.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: carb rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »
might also consider running a can of carb cleaner (and some fuel cleaner) and see if that don't fix it first.

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:43:37 PM »
yeah I've got the carb spray, haven't hit it with that in awhile.  I have to prime the carb with gas when she gets low on fuel.  When run out of gas I'm used to dropping a little into the carb, but when there's gas in the tank she still wants some dropped in the carb.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »
what's wrong with your fuel pump?  is there some seal loose between the fuel line and the carb?

Maybe your carb does needs a rebuild.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
There's a bad idle issue that can be clogged idle tubes. It can be cleaned up with a small drill bit by removing them without taking the rest of the carb apart.

If you're so inclined.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »
If there were a seal lose, wouldn't I be leaking gas?

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm not even starting.  There's only a gallon of gas in there and she hasn't been starting when the tanks that low.  Throw a fresh gallon in the tank and a little in the carb and she'll start; that's how the last week has been going.  When I'm able to put half a tank in then everything runs more or less fine. This all sounds to me more like fuel pump than carb rebuild.  Bad idle has always been the give away for a rebuild as far as my experience goes, and once warmed up (she runs very cold) the car idles fine. 

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 02:05:44 PM »
Could be the pickup tube in the tank has rotted or the hose from the tank has become a piccolo from MTBE
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:29:07 PM »
Could be the pickup tube in the tank has rotted or the hose from the tank has become a piccolo from MTBE

Now that Carnuck has mentioned it, that's about the only thing that makes sense.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »
If the line is rusted and you apply air, what's left may blow off into the tank leaving you stranded right where the car sits. Never work on your car in a spot where you have to move it if things don't go right!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:35:21 PM »
pickup tube inside the tank?  That's something I didn't know about.  The gas line is rusted but not leaking from what I can tell.  The PO proudly called the car "stock" so I'll bet that's the original tank.  This air compressor business... you just blow air down the gas line?

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »
Those pick up tubes are metal and Unless your tank was full of water I doubt it is rusted. They look like an exhaust pipe on a motorcycle with a slot cut on the end. It goes without saying that all of your gas lines outside of the tank should be replaced.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »
The bottom half of the pickup tubes are plastic though.  The one that came out of my 87 when I replaced the tank was starting to split up the side from the plastic contracting over time.  It broke off in my hand with very little pressure, so it's not a stretch at all for the plastic part to be damaged.  If it's just starting to crack it could be still letting enough fuel through to run, but mixed with air so it won't be running at full capacity.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
Mine was older before plastic was widespread but I can see the plastic getting brittle

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »
I'll see if I can find the pics of the pickup tubes rotted off (due to MTBE and alcohol plus other fuel additives) I've had to change 7 myself on various rigs. Park them a long time with a partial tank of fuel and the rust starts!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk