News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel tank replacement  (Read 12951 times)

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Fuel tank replacement
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »
Shortly after purchase Virginia developed a fuel leak when the tank is more than half full.  It's coming from the top of the tank, so i'm pretty sure it's the o-ring at the sending unit.  Upon closer inspection of the tank, i also found which looks like a previous leak on the bottom of the tank that was patched up with some kind of black putty.  Being that's probably not a permanent fix, and that it's probably a sign that the tank is rusting inside, I'm going to replace the whole tank.

My first question is regarding the grommet around the filler neck.  I have no experience with fillers that attach to the tank like these.  Does anybody make new grommets?  What are the chances that I get a leak if I re-use the existing one which is probably original?  Is there some sort of fuel-resistant gasket maker I can use around the grommet to make sure it seals up good?

Second question, opinions on using the tank out of my 88 parts car vs. buying a new tank?  I think i'm going to drop the tank out of the parts car anyways to use the sending unit since the fuel gauge on Virginia jumps all over the scale constantly, mostly reading towards the high side.  Is it common for the tanks to rust out?  If it's a common thing, i'll just spend the $130 and order a new one from Rock Auto.

Any tips or tricks with dropping the tank out or anything else with this process?  Will I need any special tools?  I know they make a tool to remove the sending unit lock ring, would a pair of channel lock pliers get the job done?  I never replaced a fuel tank before so i'm not sure exactly what I might run into.  Is it best to take the fuel lines off before I drop the tank or after?

Thanks for any help.  I would really like to avoid having to redo my work due to mistakes, or turning my car into a molotov cocktail on wheels.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Re: Fuel tank replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:29:27 AM »
Its very common for salt slurry to get stuck on the upper lip of the fuel tank. The plastic shield functions well to trap it there. Just about every PA car will need a new fuel tank. There isn't really an Oring on the sending unit and I've never encounterd a leak there. If its coming from the top of the tank it could also be the vent tube has rusted off. Once that rusts off you'll have a small hole on the top of your tank.

The huge round grommet at the back of the tank is not a usual problem spot either. I doubt you need to replace that or your filler tube. Its well worth the 130 dollars for a new tank but the first step is to to remove and inspect what you already have. Its likely that the parts car will be serviceable with a quality paint job.

A pair of channel locks will not work well on the lock ring. The trick is to use a punch and a hammer. If you tap on one side than the other it will eventually start to spin. Once its slightly loose you can push on both tabs at once with two big screwdrivers and it will spin off.

Make sure you take great care in saving the bolts that hang the tank. They easily break and I have never found a replacement for them. First pop the bolts behind the license plate and then twist the filler tube out. You don't need to seperate the filler tube and the license plate. Next disconnect all the fuel lines and the grounding wire before loosening the bolts.

While the tank is down its important to pop the fuel sending unit out. It has a mesh filter at the bottom of the pickup tube that has to be removed. It will be clogged after 20 some years of service. Don't bother replacing it inside the tank. A clear inline filter should be substituted directly outside of the tank.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:41:19 AM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:34:24 AM »
Threaded rod can be bent for the bolts that hang the gas tank.

Manitowoc WI

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 04:44:11 AM »

I've done this once. It works but its crude. Jeep Cherokees also use the exact same bolt and I've always been in disbelief that I can't find a vendor who carries them. I've spent alot of time looking for one that does. Anyone else find new replacement bolts with the funky bent head on them?
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:05:20 AM »
The thing that gets me here... the car with the leak is a Virginia vehicle, which is a generally rust free car, and shouldn't have seen any salt to sit on the top of the tank and rust it out.  That's the main reason I was thinking it was leaking around the sending unit.  I guess I'll find out when I drop the tank out.  Either way I think i'll just buy a new tank and know that I won't have to worry about anything rusting through as long as I'm going to own it.

Are there any good tricks to draining the fuel out of the tank before I drop it?  I think it's got about a third of a tank in it based on my highly unstable fuel gauge.  I would just drive it and use the fuel up, but with the cracked flex plate that's not much of an option.  I thought about just poking a hole in the bottom to catch the fuel since the tank is getting replaced anyways, but something tells me that will turn into a mild to moderately sized puddle of fuel on the floor of my garage by the time it's done with.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »
Seems like a good way to burn up a starter. Not much of an option anyways as that's still going to put more undue stress on my crackplate which I think is just hanging by a thread.

I thought about trying to siphon it out but the mouthful of gas thing put me off of that idea. I might try to rig up an inline electric fuel pump from a friend's boat if he let's me use it.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »
To siphon out the remaining fuel I believe I would go to any auto parts store and purchase a siphon kit. They are really cheap and do a super job.I purchased one at auto zone a couple of years ago for around ten bucks and can't believe just how many times I've needed it. Just last week I had to replace the fuel gauge on my zero turn lawn mower. The float part had came off the gauge part and had fallen into the tank so the fuel tank had to be removed and the remaining fuel had to be removed first.Got out the ole siphon and emptied in in just a few minutes.Sure beats sucking on a hose! No comments from you perverts either!lol Anyway a siphon kit is the way to go in my book.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »
I'lll pick one of those up, I didn't know they sold kits for it.  Sounds like that would be the bee's knees.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
Trust me it will work like a charm!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
I thought about trying to siphon it out but the mouthful of gas thing put me off of that idea. I might try to rig up an inline electric fuel pump from a friend's boat if he let's me use it.

I've done a few fuel tank drops. I finally broke down and bought an inline pump for about $35 after the cheap siphon I bought melted after a few gallons. I hooked it up to a lighter socket, plugged it in and now I have a reliable and easy way to transfer gas, much easier then a siphon and you can pump right into the container in your trunk if you want.

You can get the regular clear vinyl tubing, available at pet stores and home stores in many sizes. That's what most siphons supply. It's fuel-resistant but not heat resistant, which is why it's generally not used in engines. (Although I think that's some of the factory the tubing in my diesel Jetta...) Having plenty of tubing makes it easy to locate everything and not worry about tubes falling out, plus the clear tubing lets you see when you start sucking air.

An electric pump lets you get as much as possible out of the tank too, as it'll suck air. Although you're in for the socket plug, some wire, and some hose. Expect maybe $50 total.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

rohnk

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »
Sure beats sucking on a hose! No comments from you perverts either!lol Anyway a siphon kit is the way to go in my book.

:laughing4:

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 04:30:14 PM »
I'm in the process of siphoning the last bit of fuel out, sending unit wiring is disconnected, the plastic pan is off in the back, and the fuel lines are off.  I've had the hanger bolts soaking in PB Blaster and no luck so far getting them broke loose.  Normally I'd get the torch and heat them up, but with the whole thing about it being next to the fuel tank that leaks, i'm thinking that's unadvisable.  Anybody have any tricks to get them off without breaking them?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »

Break them and replace

Manitowoc WI

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »
Well the whole point of not breaking them is they don't make/sell new ones.  I don't want to do a half butt rig job with threaded rod if it's possible to save the correct original hangers.  They don't look rusted bad at all because this car hasn't seen road salt, there's just 25 years of who knows what making it stubborn.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
Half assembly rig job. Nice. All depends on fabrication skill. I guess.
My thoughts are that eagle aged bolts such as that. Length, road grime, inabilty to heat, inches to turn. Good luck.

Clean the threads that are showing.

Manitowoc WI

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 06:22:50 PM »
Tank is out, w00t!  Used a heat gun to heat it up first, and slowly worked it both directions until the grit worked loose and it started to turn freely.  Surprisingly, once I got about half an inch it was loose enough I turned them out by hand.  I don't know that the heat gun was necessarily safe, but it had to be safer than an open flame and it saved the hanger bolts.

I found the leak too.  There's a small hole under the rubber bumper at the circular indentation of the tank.

I'll be heading to Advance tomorrow morning to get some new fuel lines and finish the job up.  I tested my sending unit and it seems to be working good, so I guess that means my issue is a bad ground, probably behind the instrument cluster.  Joy.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »
I see that my new tank does not have any rubber pads on top of it like the original tank does.  Would it be advisable to put something on the new tank before installation?  It makes me wonder if it's a good idea, since my leak was under one of them.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 06:45:35 PM »
Good for you.
A cushion is advisible to keep from metal on metal contact.

Manitowoc WI

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
Everything's back in, full tank, and no leaks.  I re-used the rubber bumpers that were on the original tank, as well as the filler grommet, straps, and hanger bolts.  The plastic part of the fuel pickup was cracked, so I ended up busting that off the rest of the way and replacing it with a piece of 5/16 fuel line.

I can't believe these old fuel lines weren't leaking, they were cracked up pretty bad.

Here's the new routing of the fuel lines.

And I installed an inline filter just before the fuel pump.  Because of the length of the filter I got I couldn't come up with a place to mount it near the tank that I was comfortable about the lines not kinking up.  Seems to be working good so far.

Has anybody ever actually got 25 gallons into one of these tanks?  Supposedly they're 25 gallons from what I've read, but I couldn't have put more than 2 gallons in it out of my can, and it took another 18 at the pumps before it clicked off.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:56:07 PM by WoodenBirdOfPrey »

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 07:31:23 AM »
Try soaking them with brake fluid, that may cut through the crud

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
I believe the small cars are rated at 21 gallons and the big cars at 22. I suspect that this is total volume and includes necessary air space and the small amount in the bottom your pickup needs to operate. If you've gotten 20 in there you're in practical terms full.

You may be able to do better if you had an extra vent or two, especially one on the filler neck. The short behind-the-plate filler can make it hard to get the tank completely full.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »
You're right, it is listed as 22 gallons.  That makes more sense, sounds like i'm on target then accounting for air space in the tank.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »
Just a note, but I'm going to be putting XJ fuel tanks in my '82 Spirit and '82 Eagle wagon (with a relocated filler hole and Eagle/Spirit filler necks) I test fit the XJ tank in the Spirit and it's larger volume will be fine because the car no longer drags it's butt everywhere it goes!
    The 21 and 17 gallon XJ tanks are the same, but the filler neck on the "smaller" one doesn't have vent holes in it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
Why would they intentionally decrease tank capacity by leaving the vent holes on the filler tube out?  Is that like a california emissions thing?  I know on my motorcycle the california model was the same way, the filler dip was lower and cut the 2.4 gallon tank to 2 gallons.  I'm pretty sure that was for the vapor recovery to the charcoal canister or something like that.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:49 PM »
Yep. Only in Califaultia. Motors under a certain size couldn't have the bigger tank
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
I don't know about California laws, but the XJ tank was a cost-savings thing by Chrysler. They found it was cheaper to make one tank and charge you for an "upgrade" that was just a different filler neck and sending unit then to have two separate tanks in stock. There are all kinds of discussions about it on Jeep forums.

As for the Eagles, you have to remember in 1980 there were no vapor-recovery devices at gas stations, so they just weren't as sensitive to the venting in the tank as the new equipment is. I have just as much problem with filling older cars too.
NSS#47184

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »

I've done this once. It works but its crude. Jeep Cherokees also use the exact same bolt and I've always been in disbelief that I can't find a vendor who carries them. I've spent alot of time looking for one that does. Anyone else find new replacement bolts with the funky bent head on them?

I'm in that position right now.  

A 1993 jeep cherokee's hangers are the same type hanger, but a bit shorter, and the grand cherokee are the same type hanger, but are a bit longer then the regular Cherokee.  They could end up being the same length as the Eagle's are.  I'm gonna check to see how close the GC are.  But in a fix the cherokee will work.  Nuts are 3/8

Update:

Here's a pic of both the eagle's hanger (old one) and the shorter Cherokee (new hanger).  The parts person at Renfrew Chrysler said the Grand Cherokee hangers are a bit longer, so I'm guessing they would be closer to the proper length, but these will work.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:58:12 AM by Whuntmore »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk