News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 04:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '87 Eagle Wagon Power Mirror Switch  (Read 2730 times)

Offline flyamerican

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
'87 Eagle Wagon Power Mirror Switch
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:18:58 AM »
Hi All ~

I spent a good deal of the day solving problems with non-functioning power mirrors in an '87 Limited.  The switch had been "fixed" before, leaving it with tape on the back and some of the wiring connectors just hanging there loose.  Found diagrams for which wire colors go to which terminal for an '84 and for a Wagoneer, but neither had the same colors or were incorrect somehow.  I'm attaching a graphic of where I ended up to mirrors working correctly and no blown fuse (get a large number of 10amp AGC fuses if you are experimenting with this).  I did find the original back cover for the switch in the bottom of the door, not even broken.  Once I verified the function of the switch, I added a little hot glue to each wire just behind the connector to take any strain off the tiny metal connectors.  Before my final assembly, I gently recrimped each connector so it would grip the pin it slides onto, then used the hot glue, then put the cover on.  I also slid a piece of shrink fit tubing over the existing plastic sleeve on the switch harness because the action of the window regulator had worn a hole in it.  I wouldn't advise taking the switch apart unless you need to.  It's one of those with tiny contacts that ride on tiny springs which like to fall and get lost on your garage floor.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:33:36 AM by flyamerican »

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: '87 Eagle Wagon Power Mirror Switch
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
Nice work,

You mention you have a diagram for an 84?

My 84 wires were disconnected about 10 years ago when I had my car painted, the paint guy took it all loose when he took the door off to paint it and then couldn't hook it back up. I've never been able to get it to work or find a diagram of what wire goes where for an 84

As you said all  harnesses are not the same, and yes I blew several fuses trying to get them to work by using the incorrect year diagram

Good idea on the shrink tube, thanks for that tip as well

Thanks
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline flyamerican

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:57:11 AM »
Hi All ~

I put the correct graphic on my previous entry.  As for the '84 diagram, check this guy's site:  http://www.n0kfb.org/homepage/amc/tech/  In there he has notes on wiring the switch, however, I think there is an error in where he placed the orange wire.  This wire consistently seems to be the power or hot lead to the switch.  If it's in the wrong place, you'll play Russian Roulette with the joystick until you pop a fuse.  For a reference to the correct location of the orange wire, look at the back of your switch with the cover off, or refer to the graphic I put on my original topic.  Look closely at the 3 screws that hold the switch together.  Find the one that is in the channel that contains the center terminal, and consider this screw head as the top of your switch for our discussion.  With that screw oriented at the top, go directly down toward the bottom of the switch and find the terminal that is in line with the top screw and the center terminal.  This bottom terminal is where your 12VDC orange wire should go.  You can figure out the other wires pretty well by their lengths.  I suspect that if you get them wrong, the mirrors will still work, but in unpredictable directions.  I was lucky and got mine right, once I had the orange and black right.  Good luck!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:26:55 AM »
thank you so much for the info!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk