News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:51:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Hatchling  (Read 2711 times)

Offline JonnyBG

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
New Hatchling
« on: June 11, 2019, 01:06:00 PM »
Hello All,

Been in love with the Eagle for a couple of years and just found a looker, drove her home yesterday. She has a number of "issues" so there is some work to be done but excited to get going. Here is a list of what I have so far......  ;D ;D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DZKmSqdHB7ltaLYsGquzmR5oLhVHt3Co/view?usp=sharing

Rear diff leak
Front diff totally removed (have the parts)
Transmission does not shift automatically 3 speed  (use the manual gear selector)
Ignition in off position does not cut the exterior lights
Put original rims back on (have parts)
Solenoid on starter not working (past owner used Napa replacement that was not correct)
Speedometer not working
Fuel Guage not working

Long list and I am sure I will be asking for some insight at some point but if you have any comments now that will be greatly appreciated

1987 AME Eagle Limited
I6
3 Speed Auto

Canmore, Alberta, Canada

Best

Jon

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: New Hatchling
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 01:47:02 PM »
Welcome and congratulations on your "new" Eagle!  It sure is a pretty one.  I'm looking forward to following your progress!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
Welcome to the group - the nicest auto-related forum anywhere!

Btw; you can delete your issue of "Ignition in off position does not cut the exterior lights" from your list.   That's the way the Eagle and most old cars work - you have to remember to turn off your lights!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline JonnyBG

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
Thanks for the Welcome.

That makes sense, re the ignition. It must be a fault with the light switch because they are always on. Maybe the light switch stopped working and he just hardwired them on? Doesn't make much sense but will investigate.

Will update on progress

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 04:23:30 PM »
Welcome to the den. I agree with those rims. Not the best choice for that year of car.

Manitowoc WI

Offline atmafox

• Mad Engineer
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
Grats, welcome to the family!

The fuel gauge not working could be an issue with the ground for it.  Open circuit is empty, no resistance is full but all resistances are relative to ground so if the ground strap is broken or has increased resistance it will keep the gauge from going to full -- and in bad enough cases, keep it from working at all.

The speedo may be a more difficult situation if the cable or the socket it mounts into on the speedo is out.  Cable driven speedos have become the bane of my existence, I'll tell ye.

Thanks,
-Andrea
Mine:
- 1980 AMC Eagle 2dr Sedan
- 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe

Ours:
- 1986 Toyota Pickup

Hers:
- 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
- 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac
- 1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr 4x4

His:
- 1985 Nissan 720 Pickup Deluxe King Cab 4x4

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 08:44:29 AM »
Great looking Eagle!  Good luck getting your list sorted, just keep at it and you will have stories to tell at the end!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline JonnyBG

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 01:26:26 PM »
Hi Folk,

Just a quick question. I am looking for a TSM for my 1987 Wagon. I can't seem to find one but I have found the MR 251 from 1983. Would this be applicable to my wagon?

I have attached a photo of the cover

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G52Up3ztP-hNfFAs0iOp7t9EGhcI5PoV/view?usp=sharing

Thank a heap

Jon

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
Yes, the MR251 is applicable to all years. I believe the MR stands for something like Mechanics Resource. It goes a bit deeper than the TSM and presumes the reader is at least semiskilled.

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 04:02:32 PM »
There is a partial copy of the TSM in the "Pedia...

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/1982_%26_1983_TSM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk