News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 06:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle bumper cleanup.  (Read 3081 times)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Eagle bumper cleanup.
« on: July 27, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »
hi, anybody have a product/procedure for polishing up Eagle bumpers? The bumper is polished aluminum, coated with a clear coat. Not sure what it is, but it.s pretty durable. As bumpers age, the clearcoat gets dingy and yellows. No amount of buffing will bring back the shine unless you strip of this coating, which I do NOT want to do. Any ideas, anyone? thanks, gz

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Eagle bumper cleanup.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »
As I understand it, its not a clear coat, its anodizing.  Its very difficult to remove (I did it on my rear bumper)  I was able to get a very shiny surface with a metal polish and a buffing pad on an air tool but it didn't last very long, now the thing is worse than it was with the scratched up anodizing.  I suppose I could polish it every six months or so but I don't have it in me.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »
hi, so they are anodized? that would explain their durability. So now I need to find a way to polish anodized coating? ok , more research. thanks, gz

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:12:17 PM »
In the 'For What It's Worth' dept., when I got BlackBird, the bumpers, window trim, door locks, ANY chrome (even hubcaps) had been painted FLAT black!!! I used paint thinner, a several rags, & a large amount of elbow grease. The front bumper & window trim all turned out pretty good (in my opinion).
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:14:49 AM »
hi, the Eagle bumpers are NOT chrome. They are polished and then anodized aluminum. Sometimes they still polish up nice, but once the anodizing ages, the only "permanent" fix is to have them deanodized, and then reanodized, which can not really be done at home, have to send 'em out.. Maybe one day! thanks, gz

Offline bradd04

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 06:03:29 AM »
Just remember that you can not polish an anodized aluminum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk