News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 04:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: plasti-dipped bumpers  (Read 3587 times)

Alcology

plasti-dipped bumpers
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »
I decided to check out some other auto forums for hints and tips (it's not cheating!  I swear!) and found an interesting one on a ford ranger forum.  A member there used plasti-dip spray on all the chrome on the truck.  After seeing priya's post about the bumpers, it makes me curious to see how it would work out.  If you don't like it, you can just peel it off. 

http://www.ranger-forums.com/showthread.php?t=111138

It could be a really cool, and more importantly cheap, way to refresh some scarred bumpers.  I have a couple bumpers just sitting in the basement I'll try it on this week.  I'll put a pic up after I'm done.  If it's cheap enough, I'll get some different colors. 

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: plasti-dipped bumpers
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:08:26 PM »
Cool idea!  I'm interested to see how it turns out.  Just don't be straying again!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
There's a shop that does it here, they had an STI out front, where they dipped part of the bumpers at the bottom that were all scratched up and a few gouges, and it looked amazing after.

I've never tried the stuff in a can, but I imagine, as long as the bumpers arent too damaged, it would work great.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:25:53 PM »
omg, the guy who spray-ed his Ranger bumper used printer paper for over spray.  No recycling here!  No old newspaper, or used copy paper, but Brand new sheets of printer paper.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 09:03:03 AM »
Funny how he covered "some" of his license plate #'s but not all of them.

I just wonder about the longevity of the plastic spray.  I see one chip and a winter freeze taking everything off.

Looks great when 1st installed though.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »
How cool is that! wuold look great on the head light surrounds and even the grill for that sport look.

Alcology

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »
I stopped by home depot and they only had black.  Here is a test with one coat.  I can see that I missed a spot.  I'll probably try to fix it tomorrow and then leave it outside for the winter.  I took off any parts that might get troublesome.  I really like the looks of it.  I don't know if I would do it seriously as I like the looks of shiny things, but it could really work on a ride.  I did a little sanding and prep on one area to see if it makes a difference. 

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »
That looks good, I'd be interested to see how they fare the weather.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »
That looks pretty good! I think on the right application it would be really cool.Can't wait to see how it holds up.Can't help but wonder what bugs or removing them would do to it.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk