The Shop > Axle / Differential

AMC Eagle rear axle ratios interchange

(1/2) > >>

amcfool1:
hi, I have a 1984 Eagle sedan, nice shape. I am trying to replace the 2:35 axles with 2:73 axles. I have both front and rear 2:73 axles from a parted out 85 wagon. The front is fine. The rear, however has a bent housing. I have a chance to purchase a complete 3:54 rear axle. My question is; will the 2:73 carrier, ring and pinion, etc, fit into the 3:54 housing/axle? In other words, what is the carrier break?  Thank you all.   gz

AMC of Houston:
Educated guess says yes; it should work.   Reasoning being the AMC Eagle parts manual shows the same housing part number for all gear ratios.   Although the gear carriers show different part numbers for different ratios, the axle housing part number is the same for all.

amcfool1:
thank you!  gz

amcfool1:
but not the 2:35, correct? In other words, one can't put the 2:73 in the 2:35 housing, can one? I always though that the 2:35 was its own unique beast.  gz

vangremlin:

--- Quote from: amcfool1 on April 13, 2023, 11:38:35 PM ---but not the 2:35, correct? In other words, one can't put the 2:73 in the 2:35 housing, can one? I always though that the 2:35 was its own unique beast.  gz

--- End quote ---

That was kind of my understanding also.  May require some more digging to find out. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version