News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 05:53:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A project years in the making.  (Read 2781 times)

Offline speeedy01

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
A project years in the making.
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »
 For the last 3 years I have had 3 eagles in storage, 1 1985 wagon for parts, 1 1984 wagon, and 1 1982 2 door sedan sport. I have also had in storage a 1993 jeep Cherokee, 4L, 5 speed. The clutch is toast  This is my plan due to the things I have learnt on this site over the last few years.
 I am taking the whole drive train out of the jeep, motor, tranny, transfer case, wiring, computers, exhaust and misc. items needed to mount into the 82 2 door sport. The AMC is an automatic and the jeep is a standard, so there will be a little work. I am under the impression if I take the crank and valve push rods out of the 4.2L AMC and install them into the 4.0L JEEP I will have a 4.2 stroker.  Will be putting in a heavy duty clutch and a possible shift kit in the tranny.
 The jeep has a glass pack so will be reusing it and as much as the exhaust as possible. There is a air intake spacer on the intake with a K+N air filter. Will be upgrading to the cold air intake system from K+N.

I am under the impression that as long as I do not put a lift into it the AMC, the 4.0L engine exhaust manifold should not interfer with the mount for the front Diff. Is this true or do I need to buy headers? I would also like to make the fan electric and not off a pulley. Any suggestions before I start?

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: A project years in the making.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
Most 4.0 engines have headers stock, the 4.2 should have a manifold stock. Either way, you will have to modify the exhaust pipe and probably the front diff mount too. If you go with the mechanical 4.0 fan, you will need to modify the battery tray. You will also run into clearance issues with the idler arm at the front of the frame, which will need to be ground down.

I'd suggest going over the car(s) for rust before you start swapping out engines, but otherwise I hope to see your progress! Btw, the shift kit isn't too difficult to install if you follow directions and keep things clean. I put one in my Eagle project after fixing a coolant leak and flushing everything out, and it seemed to run and shift well the few times I drove it.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
you are also going to need the amc eagle clutch and brake pedals cause i have no heard as of yet of anyone retrofitting XJ cherokee units
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »
I'm going to test fit the 4.0L HO header into my buddy's parts car (Eagle wagon with 4.2L and T4) He's making his (my '82 Spirit) into an SX4 stick with the parts
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline speeedy01

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:59:59 PM »
 Whole drive line from a 93 jeep cherokee, motor, tranny, transfer case, wiring harness, exhaust parts, computer(s) and other little things. Going into a 82 eagle with a 4.2L automatic set up. I have removed/installed several of the 4.2L's, tranny's and TC's in these cars but never anything else, just AMC Eagles. I know these cars very well. Here are my questions.
1- I can take the CAM and valve PUSH RODS out of the 4.2 and install them into the 4L creating a 4.2 stroker in a 4L
block, is this true?
2- I have just learnt that the exhaust manifold will be an issue with the block mount for the front diff. I understand
that putting a lift on the car could elimenate that issue, is this true and how high would you have to go?
3- Are the u joints different sizes? If so does that which drive shafts, or ends of them, would be used?
4- The motor mounts on both motore are supposed to be 2 pieces, so taken the block mounted part on the 4L and the frame mounts from the 4.2L(original mounts) and bolt those 2 halfs together will mount motor.
5- Just learnt the idler arm may need to be ground down, can this be avoided with a lift? Was thinking of going bout 3 inches. Will a lift take care of the exhaust manifold and front diff mount problem?

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:49:15 AM »
Mernsey,

That's an old reposting()still some good info.  Here's teh current page that info came from:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk