News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 12:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question for the experts  (Read 5037 times)

Offline dowditjr

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Question for the experts
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »
Well first of all, I haven't been on here since i got my eagle, but I'm back and I brought another one, so this website is about to be my best friend.  Brief update on my 85 eagle limited, got the vehicle moving, because the transmission was slipping something fierce, still idling way too high though, now in the process of lifting it. I got the rear end lifted with new shocks, and currently dealing with the pain in the  :censored: coil springs lol
Now to my newest edition!!!
Its a 1983 eagle wagon (The Silver Bullet)....supposedly a sport? I thought the only sport models were the SX/4's. So this is why i came to you all. Is this actually a series 30 sport wagon? or was it a base that someone switched over all the trim and painted it. The interior is all black, with the plaid seats, crank windows, manual locks and HAD A/C. the exterior has the "sport" emblem, black pointed/round mirrors says 4x4 on the front doors. Has the two tone paint, black on bottom, silver on top, with black flares. 258 engine, 998 trans. So what's the verdict?

1990 PONTIAC 6000 LE WAGON- DECEASED :'(
1985 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON
1986 CHEVY K10 SCOTTSDALE
1992 CHRYSLER LEBARON
1995 CHEVY CAMARO

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Question for the experts
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »
Looks like a Sport from here. They are real.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »
Agree with Mernsy.
Sports came in SX, Wagons & Sedans. Never seen a Kammy sport, but that might be a possibility too.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »
Very nice looking sport wagon. The sport wagons also had black plastic trim around the rear quarter windows. I didn't however know they made Sport Sedans.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
They exist. These are just the ones I have on my computer. Think I even recollect 4 door sedans too.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »
Cool thanks for the pics Mudpuppy!

Dowd, you should look into getting some factory original Marchal 750 fog lights for it. :)
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline dowditjr

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:31:52 AM »
No sir. lol I'm not restoring this one. Its just going to be my daily driver for a bit. The 85 is the restore. (cause it needs less work  ;) ) and I like the fog lights that are on it cause they are the like YELLOW -yellow ones, which my Pontiac had. That's how everyone around town knew it was me lol so I'm keeping those on it.
And thanks for the clarification guys!
1990 PONTIAC 6000 LE WAGON- DECEASED :'(
1985 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON
1986 CHEVY K10 SCOTTSDALE
1992 CHRYSLER LEBARON
1995 CHEVY CAMARO

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:09 AM »
Hello, dowditjr; welcome to the Den.  Congrats to you on acquiring your two Eagles, and condolences on your Pontiac's death. :P

With regard to your slipping transmission, it's a Chrysler TorqueFlite in an AMC case. The TorqueFlite is the easiest automatic transmission to rebuild out there. Anyone with decent mechanical aptitude, a good manual and a reasonably complete set of tools can repair one.

I would, however, start with pressure tests before removal and teardown. You will need a couple of gauges capable of reading 300 psi or so. There are pressure taps for every function on the transmission case; they are easily accessible while the transmission is in the car. Be sure to change fluid and filter before you begin troubleshooting. Many Eagle transmission problems are directly related to old fluid and a plugged filter.

You may also find it needs only a band adjustment. Both bands can be adjusted while the transmission is in place. The front band is a bit hard to get to but can be done. The rear band is accessible after you drop the transmission oil pan. You will need to do that anyway to change the fluid. :eagle:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:15:38 AM by eaglebeek »
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:22:01 PM »
The TorqueFlite is the easiest automatic transmission to rebuild out there. Anyone with decent mechanical aptitude, a good manual and a reasonably complete set of tools can repair one.
In other words, do NOT give this to some "professional" that will just screw around with it for 2-3 months and expect you to pay 8x what it actually costs to rebuild one. :-\
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
I've rebuilt about 80 or so Mopar trans over the years and I tore apart lots more for the shop I worked for. The thing that increases the longevity of them the most is adding a can of STP oil treatment and I found the easiest time to do it is while the pan is off for a filter change. It lubes everything so the trans doesn't start dry and it speeds up the engagement of the gears so there is less slippage.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »
Get those Jeep rims off! Go STOCK baby!!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »
The TorqueFlite is the easiest automatic transmission to rebuild out there. Anyone with decent mechanical aptitude, a good manual and a reasonably complete set of tools can repair one.
In other words, do NOT give this to some "professional" that will just screw around with it for 2-3 months and expect you to pay 8x what it actually costs to rebuild one. :-\

here's the manual, courtesy of IowaEagle, I think?

http://www.amceaglesden.com/images/Downloads/auto%20trans%20998.pdf
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk