News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 04:21:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Replacement  (Read 20759 times)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Engine Replacement
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 06:44:26 PM »
Explain Fab.. Like easy fab or i may need a whole case of budlight to keep from smashing my new head with a hammer fab??

Fab as in custom exhaust to connect the 4.0 exhaust manifold to the existing exhaust.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 03:19:49 AM »
SOOOOO all in all from yals experience everything other than rebuilding my 258 is gonna be a head ache...
No here's the real issue. The Eagle is a light body hotrod that doesn't need a big engine that can't breathe. It's the typical "too young to die, too drunk to live" scenario with engineering. The 258 is a great engine choice for Jeeps but in the AMC it suffers from a low breathing profile and very torquey low end with a poor middle and NO top end. I would be all for using a 232 for a bottom end and injecting it with a high flow head and late 1999+ intake. The transmission is archaic and deprecated. Nobody knows what the A-998 is and despite being the easiest thing to rebuild, mechanics tend to go full retard on it whenever one arrives on their work bench. AVOID.
i'd probably hae money left over for a shift kit in the 998
The Eagle needs a shift kit for improved function but it would be more appropriate for an overdrive automatic like the AW4 or a 700R4, At this point, I would junk all of that for a 6-spd gearbox with a 2-spd 4WD case.

That's another point. These birds are in desperate need of upgrades and even THOSE tend to be obsolete. In other words, it's an uphill battle. Is it worth it? I don't know. I'm still in the middle of my fight.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
That's another point. These birds are in desperate need of upgrades...

I can't imagine where you get that idea from.  I couldn't be more pleased with my 258 and 998 - they are not in the slightest need of an upgrade.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
I can't imagine where you get that idea from.
From having to pull the engine or transmission every year because either one blew up. This car is a great utility but horribly weak and seems to get much worse with each dumb mechanic that gets their hands on the parts. My driving is 90% freeway and 10% backwoods. There is no excuse for this noise but it continues to happen.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »
From having to pull the engine or transmission every year because either one blew up. This car is a great utility but horribly weak and seems to get much worse with each dumb mechanic that gets their hands on the parts. My driving is 90% freeway and 10% backwoods. There is no excuse for this noise but it continues to happen.

I find it hard to believe you're not grossly exagerating.  You are virtually the only one with such complaints, the vast majority of people have no major problems with the Eagle drivetrain.  The problem is almost certainly what you're doing to the car rather than the car itself.   The Eagle was never intended to be a "backwoods" car, it is not an off-road car, it was designed as basic transportation in low tractions conditions and it excels at that.   If you think its such a horrible car sell it and get something else.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »
He doesn't have the mechanic taking care of his car that you do. ;)

I don't use mine as a backwoods beast car, but I do go to my cabin and I do tow stuff. The previous owner of my Eagle gave up on it after the 3rd 998 trans (and his wife passing as it was really her car) Torque converter neck was broken when I got it so I went with a 727 I already had. Since it was already out, I went to a NP229 tcase which has low range locked and improved the traction.
   Better gearing (factory ratio, but a better axle than the Model 15 with 2 piece axles that almost killed the sales of Eagles in '82 due to breakage) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg369klCiIU

More power and less emission rubbish that was only a panacea compared to what we know now. Fuel injection or LPG is in the cards for mine. I already have an XJ tank set to fit in the back.

More ground clearance because getting in and out of low riders is really hard on my knees and bashing the underside of my 4x4 car on the stupidly tall speed bumps and potholes we have here in Seattle is ridiculous.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
You guys crack me up... lol umh yeah i actually found a REALLLLLLYYYY good deal today a reman for 1399.00 175.00 for shipping no up front core and 7 year 100,000 mile warranty so im REALLLYYY leaning towards that route! and i got out today and primed my passenger side, got all my emblems Amc blue trunk black and 2 amc blue stripes and she looks as OUTSTANDING!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 11:45:53 AM »
So today i was really slow at work and decided to  do some research and apparently some jeeps equiped with the 304 Came with the a-998. If i buy a crate will she bolt up??

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
The front differential is supported by the engine.  The 304 will not have the provisions to bolt up the differential.  The engine mounts are also most likely different.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:48:41 PM by Draekon »

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2014, 03:57:32 PM »
I can't help but wonder if this situation would be much easier if the car in question was a Concord or Spirit. When you put a V block engine in an Eagle, you're changing a LOT of essential pieces that are critical to the Eagle identity. You're getting rid of the IFS Dana 30, appropriate spring balance, the crossmember gets changed along with the vacuum and exhaust system. Hood might be a little more appropriate with a blower and the 4WD functionality might be retained with a straight axle(and a bit of work) but nobody wants that. There's a few reasons I have no interest in Jeeps and that's a pretty fair chunk of it. Aside from all of that, you're probably looking for a 2WD transmission and that is not what the Eagle is about.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 03:38:20 AM »
??? The AMC V8 has been done in an Eagle several times, BUT it requires some custom work. A non-engine dependent front axle hanger and modding the engine crossbar with Bulltear weld in V8 motor mount brackets (offset to the passenger's side like the 6) Custom exhaust and rad.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »
But im a speed demon and my eagle isn't.... lol i may be better off just getting another project to make fast and keep my eagle the way she is... IDK. Thanks For the input! i think theres a matador for sale about 40 minutes north of my in Cincinnati i may go after  0.o

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »
If you really want more power, just build a 4.6L stroker for your Eagle.  You can get 270 hp and over 300 ft-lbs torque out of one relatively easy.  And it would fit with the least modification.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 03:06:31 AM »
Woah there sparky. You would think that's a good idea but when I attempt builds like that the supplies are light and the numbers appear a bit higher than I really want. The Eagle was already a speed demon with a tired 258 that died at every stop sign and puked oil everywhere. A big cammed, injected and shielded 285 is my one stop solution for this but if I end up having over 300hp/400tq at the engine alone, there's going to be a serious problem keeping it on the ground. Unfortunately, I find myself cleaning more than modifying.

The entire front end looks beyond pathetic and I have little patience for all the worn out bushings, paint scrubs and excessive dry mud cluttering parts that shouldn't be so messy. No rust here but Jesus it's annoying. :banghead: The only thing keeping me from proceeding is finding an OBDII (96+) computer from a Cherokee that had a manual transmission mated to the 4.0L. So far I'm convinced they don't exist. This is like a panic attack and I'm probably going to visit Torgerson or some archaic boneyard before finally giving up and then shelling out $$$$ for Chrysler to reflash some crappy computer that's likely to cause worse problems than the carb'd 258. Yay. :-\
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk