News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 05:13:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil emergency  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Oil emergency
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:22:54 PM »
So this evening I was taking my daughter to her soccer game in the eagle. The game was about 10 miles away in the next town. As I'm buzzing down the highway at about 55 I notice a blue smoke cloud following me

I knew I had a problem, look at my guages as I slow down and no warning lights and good oil pressure . Pull over and shut it off and oil is pouring out the bottom of the engine, I mean pouring!

Pop the hood (with my vice grips of course) and the oil sender for the idiot light is gushing , tried to tighten it but I knew that wasn't the problem, the part had simply failed.

Called my dad and told him the problem and he came to the rescue by bringing me the sender off his concord in his garage and a couple quarts of oil gotta pick up a new one in the morning so he can drive his car again.

We even made it to the game on time!

Moral of the story is another few miles and I would have lost my engine, and it's new! It's a shame a little cheap part like that can be responcibilty for catastrophic faulure. I got lucky and caught it in time, watch out for a blue smoke trail!

The good thing is now my undercarriage will never rust along the passenger side as I have a new layer of very oily undercoating .
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: Oil emergency
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:11:11 PM »
Wow I'm glad to hear you avoided disaster (and even made it to the game on time). 

Like I always tell my son - its good to be aware of your surroundings - obviously are aware of what's going on around you!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:06:00 AM »
i had one of those fail like that as well. they can be devilish.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »
Mine started leaking at the seam, but not like yours. I drove it like that for probably a year. I guess I got lucky. Good thing you have more than one AMC in the family.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 02:50:02 PM »
The wonderful thing about those is it seems that it was designed to perfectly land on the exhaust pipe so that it will produce maximum smoke.

I had a similar thing happen a couple of times, but not quite as bad a leak.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »
Yeah, Ive had them leak before and replaced them but never a gusher like this, and yes if it weren't for the placement of the exhaust pipe I woulda had real trouble.
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 04:57:51 PM »
Yup, its those little cheap parts that can get us.  Good to hear you saved your engine with an $8 part.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
Mine blew off my 282 (from a Mexican CJ that was in my '84 Eagle, then my '83 Cherokee) just as I punched it getting on the freeway to avoid a speeding semi that pulled into my lane to avoid colliding with another because his brakes gave out at 80+ mph. I just barely got ahead of him before his brakes dynamited. Didn't notice the oil puking till the motor made bad noises 10 miles later. (2AM sunday night) Topped with some 50W I had a case of for my tractor and kept dring, stopping to add, then I said the heck with it after I ran out 20 miles from home. Let it cool overnight, replaced the sender next day and it had noises. Turned it into parts for a stroker a couple months later because it was burning so much oil.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk