News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 02:36:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Idler pulley  (Read 8746 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Idler pulley
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
Heard a moaning and groaning coming from under the hood of my '84 wagon and it turned out to be the idler pulley. Anybody have the correct part number?

The only pulley I can find is this one:

The type of idler pulley on my Eagle is like this one with the fixed stud:

Is the OEM kind still available or do I have to convert the open style over? If so what's the best way? Thanks!
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Idler pulley
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
Easiest way to convert would be to go to the hardware store with the new pulley and get a shoulder bolt the right id for the bearing. I consider this the ideal fix because now your rig will accept a readily available part. I dug through a book and also came up with a p/n for just the bolt. Should be a 45920. This is a 4 seasons type number.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
I believe it is 6203-2RS for Wagner.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
I used the original bolt from the factory pulley. You can cut off the front of the original pulley with a cutoff wheel to liberate the bolt, and then use the pulley available at the part stores. If you have the right equipment, you can press the old bearing out from the back, and press in a new bearing with the bolt around it. Cause basically only the bearing is bad, and is only about $2 front sources online or supply stores.

I can dig up the part number for just the bearing if you want to go that route. It is also the same bearing for the lower idler pulley (with A/C), which is easier to swap out since that pulley is not closed on the front.

Or like I said you can cut out the front of the original pulley to get the bolt, and get one the in the first picture from RockAuto (the Cheapest), or pay a little more at local part stores.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna get the new part store pulley and get a shoulder bolt from the hardware store.

On a side note I did find 3" US Made V belt pulleys on the shelf at Tractor Supply and Murdoch's but they were 5/8" wide whereas the Eagle pulley is only 1/2".

By any chance would too much belt tension shorten the lifespan of the idler pulley? I replaced the ALT/AC belt 2 months back and now the pulley went.

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
I would say yes. Tension on a pulley is tension on the bearing. Especially if not lined up directly. Old pulley extra tension... Force is going to look for a weak spot.

Just my 2 cents..
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »
I would say yes. Tension on a pulley is tension on the bearing. Especially if not lined up directly. Old pulley extra tension... Force is going to look for a weak spot.

Just my 2 cents..

Guess it makes sense. ;D

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
Just got the AZ pulley today. Surprisingly it's made in the USA and appears to be built better than the factory unit. Still need to get the bolt, install it then snap some photos.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »
@Zoro...I'll be interested in your pics when you post them. I drilled a hole in the end cap on my pulley and installed a grease fitting, then pumped it full of grease to silence it. I'm sure I'm gonna need a new one soon. In fact, I keep one I snagged from a junkyard Eagle in the spare tire well just in case the pulley now on the car fails. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
@Zoro...I'll be interested in your pics when you post them. I drilled a hole in the end cap on my pulley and installed a grease fitting, then pumped it full of grease to silence it. I'm sure I'm gonna need a new one soon. In fact, I keep one I snagged from a junkyard Eagle in the spare tire well just in case the pulley now on the car fails. :eagle:

AWESOME IDEA! Unfortunately the replacement pulley from AZ is a sealed unit. On a side note some Wagoneers with dealer installed AC in the 70's had the same idler pulley if you're looking for junkyard spares.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
OK. Got my new pulley installed today. Took a bunch of cell phone photos which I will post later.

When I relieved the tension from the belt the pulley fell off the hub. It was much worse than I thought! There was not even a single ball bearing to be found.

I reused the hub and the bolt for the new pulley. The bolt part ain't necessarily long enough so I couldn't reuse the lock-washer so I substituted with red lock-tite. Anybody know where to get one of those flat sided bolts?

There was a good bit of play between the bolt and the inner part of the bearing so I pressed in a bronze bushing to take up the slack.

Got it all installed and it seems to be working great. Will post pictures later.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »
Here's the photos.

OEM pulley after removal, no ball bearings to be found

OEM pulley next to AutoZone replacement pulley

New pulley with OEM bearing stud, note the gap

Brass bushing pressed into bearings on AutoZone pulley

New pulley bolted up using OEM bearing hub and stud

Final installation

In the final photo the pulley sits a tad bit crooked but then again that's always how it sat on the OEM one as well, the photo makes it look WAY worse than it actually is. There is one spacer that came off the OEM pulley that was reused on the back of the new pulley to space it between the bracket and pulley. Last but not least I couldn't reuse the OEM lock washer so I had to use red Loc-Tite on the nut. It's on there tight and no issues.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:15:10 PM by Zoro »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »
Nice work and thanks for the pictures!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Worthy of the pedia when its back. nice job

Manitowoc WI

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »
Nice work and thanks for the pictures!

Thanks and no problem.

Worthy of the pedia when its back. nice job

Thanks! When the EaglePedia is back up I can give a more detailed write-up with part #'s if wanted.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:02:02 PM by Zoro »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk