News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Euclid: No match for the Eagle  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Euclid: No match for the Eagle
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
Euclid stopped by last week and I had to make a run into civilization, I've got an Eagle so no snowstorm is gonna stop my plans! The roads were a mess to say the least with no less than 6" of standing snow on the roadway and who knows how much ice underneath. Jumped on the interstate and got caught in a true white-out blizzard. Got to where I was headed no problem with the only casualty being a busted wiper blade. Fixed the wiper blade, got done what I needed to get done and as soon as I head back towards home the 7/8" keeper nut for the passenger side wiper linkage came loose sending the wiper linkage crashing into the cowl and the entire wiper arm flying thru the air. Thankfully I was stopped when this happened and was able to pick up the pieces. Unfortunately the linkage for the wipers bound up leaving the driver side wiper standing straight up parallel with the side of the windshield like a giant middle finger.

For the return trip home I decided not to take the interstate due to the lack of functional wipers, instead I took the back way home figuring there'd be very little traffic. The back way home is a very twisty, windy mountain road with a steady 9% grade and had about 8" of standing snow. The trip up the mountain was fairly uneventful with the occasional arm out the window holding the busted off wiper arm to clean the windshield HAHA. At one point I noticed a car off to the side of the road with tires spinning, the look on the driver's face said it all: "You're never gonna make it up!" Wrong! After this I continued to pass other vehicles that didn't make it up the hill eventually hitting snow that had yet to be driven on. Got home no problem. The looks on the faces of the other drivers was hilarious. Must have been a combination of "what is that" and "he's not gonna make it up!"

Got a few photos but it's gonna be a few days before I can get them uploaded.

I did fix the wiper linkage, didn't realize the only way in was THRU the wiper motor panel. :censored: Got everything hooked up great and must have cleaned the grounds in the process because the wipers work MUCH better now, go figure. ???
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Euclid: No match for the Eagle
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »
That other stuck driver would have been more in awe if you would have pulled him up the hill!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
That other stuck driver would have been more in awe if you would have pulled him up the hill!

Thought about it but no tow points on either car that wouldn't involve crawling around in the snow ;)
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
Yeah, I still can't believe how well our Eagles go in snow.
I've been through some mighty nasty snow storms with ice and whatnot, and have never gotten stuck.
Mine has the 2.35 gears in it, so it won't even spin in 4WD if you try. I intentionally tried to spin in a parking lot once, and the best I could do was a pitiful power-slide until it hooked up and went.

My best laugh in the snow was when I was driving up this curvy somewhat steep hill on a back one and a half lane road, when I saw this late model Ford Ranger with like a 4 inch lift and big off-road tires was spinning and sliding up the hill. He saw me rolling up behind him, and put on his hazard lights and signaled me to go around. So I drove up along side and around him, and he said "Good Luck", I said "You too", and I saw the stunned looked on his face as I pulled away with ease sporting just white wall all season radials.  ;D
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »
In 2002...before I knew of this forum and before I had a digital camera...we received 39 inches of heavy wet snow in March. Our Eagle was equal to the challenge, reliably delivering me to work when not even the buses were running here along the Front Range of Colorado. I still am in awe of it 11 years later. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk