News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 04:46:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need 258: engine blew on roadtrip, Ogallala Nebraska  (Read 15188 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Need 258: engine blew on roadtrip, Ogallala Nebraska
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
All done.
Ready for the road again.
Time to load & go!
Good luck, brother. May the Eagle spirits be with you.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
take care man. hope it works for the long hall

Manitowoc WI

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »
Made it home!

First day: 2:00 p.m. from Ogallala NE to the middle Iowa, where just before midnight the engine developed a quiet howling noise that stayed. Slightly higher pitch than the engine and it raised/lowered and engine rpm raised/lowered, but got much louder as engine rpm increased. Got to my Wallyworld parking lot for the night around midnight MT. Coolant reservoir was slightly low so I topped that off. Let it cool off to see what the morning brought.

Second day: should have changed the oil & filter as I reached the 500 miles recommended, but with the howl, I was hesitant to change something given the howl, which returned and mained as soon as I was warmed up. Limped along, without the same acceleration, stopping often to check under the hood for clues. Around sunset, with no luck determining the source of the howl, I finally decided to change the filter (carquest/wix), although still hesitant on the oil. Changing the filter removed the howl... Also brought back the acceleration. Suspect the rare-earth magnet stuck on the end of the filter may be involved. Fine to change the oil. Continued on to Chicago and past, stopping at midnight MT, at a service area on the toll-way somewhere.

Third day: awake, so start driving around 4:00 a.m. MT, spending 20 minutes at one stop talking about Eagle engines with a father whose son is about to rebuild his Eagle engine. Lost an hour trying to find a working pay phone in Watertown NY. Cross back into Canada before my U.S. medical insurance expired at midnight, making it home just before midnight ET. Dropped the trailer at a local business where I'm known, and home to bed. Engine has much more acceleration (looser?) after its run back home.

Up for a while this morning, then energy crashed. It'll take a few days to be back to normal. Have to go retrieve and unload the trailer, then it'll be back to bed.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2012, 02:31:42 PM »
While crossing New York State, I had an Eagle pull in behind me and follow for a while. I hadn't noticed it until I saw the reactions of the people passing by. A double cab pickup full of women were really excited to see the pair of Eagles. It pulled off into a service area, so I have no details...

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
That's great news!
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »
 :o Great to hear you fianlly made it home ok!
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk