News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 30, 2024, 12:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: high Rpm bog  (Read 11241 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Re: high Rpm bog
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 12:59:13 AM »
Well eagleman it could still be the sock in the tank collapsing....
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
The sock is just a screen in the tank. On FSJs (full size Jeeps) I also add a short piece of hose so the bottom few gallons in the tank aren't always left behind.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 01:09:18 AM »
regular fuel line with a clamp?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
Yup. The filter is in the line now. You can still get socks from places like http://bjsoffroad.com (for full size Jeep but it looks identical) but I figure why bother if my tank is clean?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 09:24:06 PM »
Thanks for the info I will get back to you guys as soon as I get the job done..

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
OK so I finally got around to removing the fuel sock. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem, sorry carnuck. I Got on the highway to spend the weekend up in Pennsylvania and realized I couldn't get over 50 mph (Not good) I went about 15 miles and was about to turn back. Then I remembered I had installed an electric fuel pump but I never wired it. So on the shoulder of 280 west bound I started wiring. Lets just say I was doing a 100 mph before I knew it, minus bog (gotta love that GPS speedometer)  I have to give credit to eagleman cause he was the first to say it. I seem to have a fuel problem, but I don't know where. Is it possible the fuel pump is not giving enough pressure at high rpm? Its a new acdelco pump just installed 3 months ago and the old one was doing the same thing. Maybe the lobe on the cam for the fuel pump is bad? Any suggestions would be great.....

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51:01 PM »
Maybe the lobe on the cam for the fuel pump is bad? Any suggestions would be great.....
SB Chevys used to have this problem...I've never heard of it in a 258 :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 11:51:48 PM »
Would the electric fuel pump act as a choke point in the system when it wasn't wired and operational???
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 07:41:16 AM »
Would the electric fuel pump act as a choke point in the system when it wasn't wired and operational???

I wondering the same thing.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
OK so I finally got around to removing the fuel sock. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem, sorry carnuck. I Got on the highway to spend the weekend up in Pennsylvania and realized I couldn't get over 50 mph (Not good) I went about 15 miles and was about to turn back. Then I remembered I had installed an electric fuel pump but I never wired it. So on the shoulder of 280 west bound I started wiring. Lets just say I was doing a 100 mph before I knew it, minus bog (gotta love that GPS speedometer)  I have to give credit to eagleman cause he was the first to say it. I seem to have a fuel problem, but I don't know where. Is it possible the fuel pump is not giving enough pressure at high rpm? Its a new acdelco pump just installed 3 months ago and the old one was doing the same thing. Maybe the lobe on the cam for the fuel pump is bad? Any suggestions would be great.....

If the electric pump was inline at the time you put the sock in, it could slow the fuel flow down. Crud from the tank could also be jammed in the inlet valve of the fuel pump (maybe warranty the pump after testing it with the electric pump bypassed)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »

It was happening before the electric fuel pump was installed.
If the electric pump was inline at the time you put the sock in, it could slow the fuel flow down. Crud from the tank could also be jammed in the inlet valve of the fuel pump (maybe warranty the pump after testing it with the electric pump bypassed)

I doubt it but it is a possibility I will not be available to really work on the car till next week. I will have to check it out then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk