News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 07:17:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: high Rpm bog  (Read 11268 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
high Rpm bog
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »
I was on the highway in Jersey and noticed the sx4 bogging above 80 mph. This is very confusing considering the car is fine from 0-60 mph. But its not noticeable until you hit 75-80mph then the car starts to slow down and bog like its gonna stall, Until around 65 mph. Then I can get the car going again but once it happens it will continue, until I drop below 65. Does anyone know whats going on here??
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: high Rpm bog
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:09:43 PM »
Sounds like your running out of fuel. I believe I would take a fuel pressure reading from the pump.Maybe replace the fuel filter or look for a restriction in the fuel lines. Have you had the carb rebuilt? Its possible the float is set to low.There is also a fuel filter in the tank. When I replaced my fuel tank I found my filter in the tank was packed solid with crap.I cleaned it with berrymans b-12 chemtool before I reinstalled it.I had a corvette once that had the very same problem your talking about. After many weeks of work and countless dollars I found the fuel return line to the tank was to large.Put a reducer in the return line and problem went away. Hope this helps and good luck.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:04 AM »
make sure that the fuel sock isn't blocking the flow. They tend to collapse after a few decades of MTBE abuse.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »
The problem has been there for a while. No restriction in the fuel lines Just pulled the tank and cleaned it out . New line front to back and sending unit looked newer. I have no return lines single inlet single outlet fuel filters. I am running a weber 38 carb setup from weberdirect for the 258. I just don't get it. :-\ there should be no problem
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:53:30 PM »
What RPMs are you running at that speed, or what axle ratio do you have?
You may be hitting the top end of the motor if you have 3.08s.

I have the 2.35s and it will peg the 85mph speedo at 2700rpms, and I can keep pulling over 3000 probably putting it close to 100mph  :o.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 07:22:58 PM »
I have 2.35's also, no way am I topping that motor out. You could probably do 120 mph in that car. So any other ideas? I can't seem to figure this out.

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 07:48:59 PM »
I have 2.35's also, no way am I topping that motor out. You could probably do 120 mph in that car. So any other ideas? I can't seem to figure this out.

Yeah, there goes my idea, and yeah I calculated and with 2.35s with stock tires at 4000 rpms in Drive, the car will be rolling close to 140mph  :o.

Sounds like you're not getting enough air or fuel to the motor though somehow.
Can you give more symptoms/details to this "bogging" condition?
Does it stumble/sputter, or just lug like you're under a large load?
Could be something in the transmission/transfer case/axles causing an excess load to the motor at a certain speed.
Like a bearing taking a load or torque converter or viscous coupling.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
You may be hitting the top end of the motor if you have 3.08s.
i have the 3.08s in Eagle Eyes and i have had her up to 120 with them and i was still gaining speed when i let off the throttle.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:27:40 AM »
...Sounds like you're not getting enough air or fuel to the motor though somehow....

I agree.  If you've eliminated a fueling problem, suggest you ensure it is getting enough air.  Once you cover the fuel and air, check your ignition to ensure it is keeping up under load.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »
Something in the fuel line jamming the pump inlet valve open? I take the "sock" off the fuel line in the tank because they turn mushy from the MTBE that CA and Shell rammed down our (carb) throats. It collapses at speed and blocks off the fuel inlet in the tank. (3 Jeeps, 2 Eagles and various other brands of car had the same problem)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 08:39:29 AM »
Sounds like you're not getting enough air or fuel to the motor though somehow.
Can you give more symptoms/details to this "bogging" condition?
Does it stumble/sputter, or just lug like you're under a large load?
Could be something in the transmission/transfer case/axles causing an excess load to the motor at a certain speed.
Like a bearing taking a load or torque converter or viscous coupling.
I don't really know how else to explain it (wish you guys were here to see what I am talking about) It only happens when I am on the highway. Its like everything is fine up until 65-70 then if I mash the accelerator she will get right up to 80 and then start to lose power. It will stay like that until I let her drop down to around 60-65 then I can hit it again back up to 80 then it starts all over. Bogging down even if I try again around 70 it will now need to drop down to 55-60 to get any power back.

I guess I could pull the sock off the sender but..... :'( I just put all that back together,
If I loose the sock on the tank what can I replace it with? Do you even need a sock?

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
Ya know I have thought about this and thought  it and I know I said it before but I believe its worth saying again. I think you are running out of fuel.I believe I would have a look at the float level in the carb.If its set to low at higher rpm the engine is starving for fuel and then when you back off its allowing it to catch up and then refilling the fuel bowl.Could be a several other issues but believe I would have a serious look at the carb first.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 02:09:27 PM »
I put an in-line filter before the pump when I removed the sock. (see through so I could see if any junk got in there)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
Ya know I have thought about this and thought  it and I know I said it before but I believe its worth saying again. I think you are running out of fuel.I believe I would have a look at the float level in the carb.If its set to low at higher rpm the engine is starving for fuel and then when you back off its allowing it to catch up and then refilling the fuel bowl.Could be a several other issues but believe I would have a serious look at the carb first.

I changed the carb out. Back to the 32/36 took it out on the high way and its still doing the same thing

I put an in-line filter before the pump when I removed the sock. (see through so I could see if any junk got in there)

So if there is no sock it will still pickup fuel? I do not have to make any other modifications to the sending unit?

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 09:50:13 PM »
Well than,shut my mouth! Anyway still thinkin but can't help thinking its fuel related.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk