News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 04:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A/C idler pulley replacement part  (Read 3119 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
A/C idler pulley replacement part
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »
I went into auto zone and they gave me the upper idler pulley. I told him this was the wrong one and the guy said it was the only one they listed. I am looking for the Lower one I know the original part number is J3241 406 I remember seeing it on the nest here.....someone had found a GM idler that was identical. If anyone knows a replacement part number or where that post is it would be very helpful.........
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: A/C idler pulley replacement part
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »
That's the one that is running against the back of the belt?
I removed that one three years ago, no problems so far.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »
If you have a machine shop near you, or better, own a press, you can have the bearing pressed out the original pulley and have a new bearing pressed in. The part number is 6203-2RS for Wagner or/and others I believe. You can find them online for as little as $3, and it'll be good as new.

I have replaced both of my pulleys over the years, the top pulley is available, as the bearing cannot be easily changed out the original style. The lower A/C pulley is not available anywhere I found, and I searched many resources, but the bearing can be pressed out and new one pressed in with the part number listed above.

If a bearing is making noise, it WILL eventually fail. I learned the hard way with my top pulley. I was sitting in traffic one day, and turned on the A/C, the pulley started whining a lot, then I heard the whining stop, and saw smoke coming out from under the hood, with the smell or burnt rubber. Shortly after the battery light came on, and I pulled over and found the top pulley froze up solid, and shredded the belt to pieces. Thankfully the drive home wasn't far, so I limped it home without the A/C and alternator, and changed the pulley, and put on a new belt.

Hope this helps.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:32:10 AM »
If you have a machine shop near you, or better, own a press, you can have the bearing pressed out the original pulley and have a new bearing pressed in. The part number is 6203-2RS for Wagner or/and others I believe. You can find them online for as little as $3, and it'll be good as new.

I have replaced both of my pulleys over the years, the top pulley is available, as the bearing cannot be easily changed out the original style. The lower A/C pulley is not available anywhere I found, and I searched many resources, but the bearing can be pressed out and new one pressed in with the part number listed above.

If a bearing is making noise, it WILL eventually fail. I learned the hard way with my top pulley. I was sitting in traffic one day, and turned on the A/C, the pulley started whining a lot, then I heard the whining stop, and saw smoke coming out from under the hood, with the smell or burnt rubber. Shortly after the battery light came on, and I pulled over and found the top pulley froze up solid, and shredded the belt to pieces. Thankfully the drive home wasn't far, so I limped it home without the A/C and alternator, and changed the pulley, and put on a new belt.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the part number but I remember seeing a direct replacement on the nest here somewhere It may have been for a Chevy 3.8 or maybe a 4.3 I can't remember now. If worst comes to worst I will have to press a new bearing in but I would like to find a replacement assembly
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
Yeah, there used to be a thread about the idler pulleys, and I recall seeing the one from a Chevy that is very similar. I think its slightly wider and has a slightly bigger diameter. I can't remember what motor it is for though, maybe someone one here will chime in.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 02:54:15 PM »
That's the one that is running against the back of the belt?
I removed that one three years ago, no problems so far.
Mine is gone also :eagle:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:56:39 PM by eaglebeek »
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk