News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:05:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4x4posi-lok Cable actuated CAD  (Read 11580 times)

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
4x4posi-lok Cable actuated CAD
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
Anybody with a disconnect front axle thought about or better yet actually used one of these???

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/PDFs/inst_900-920.pdf

I looked at it when I had my early XJ, never really got around to it, but it seems like a really elegant solution.

Doc

ps I will probably do it in the SX/4 somewhere down the line, and the fact that it has a provision for an inline switch is cool, it the t-case had one, or I can find a way to install one like on all my 231/242's then I could drive a light for 2x/4x, I've already determined that when I inject her I'm going to use the stock Check Emissions Light as my Check Engine light/MIL...

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: 4x4posi-lok Cable actuated CAD
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:59 AM »
I used one on a Dodge I had, and they work great.  It turned out to be about the same price (maybe just a little more) than replacing the vacuum motor. 
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
I work on Jeeps all the time w/ these exact kits.  Work great.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »
Rollguy,  I realize that they might be about the same, or even slightly more, but that vacume system is just too failure prone, a little abrasion wear on a hard vac line, or a cracked diaphragm, and it's a No Go for 4X. and the fact that there is no indicator that it's in or not just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy... :)

Doc

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »
I had a vacuum axle in the front of my '83 Cherokee full size with an NP208 tcase which doesn't have the vacuum ports to operate it. I used the dash switch with silicone hose ends on the vacuum tubes to only operate the front diff.
I also had manual hubs on it so I could disconnect the drag of the front diff for long trips.
   I've even thought about using Ranger/BroncoII manual hub setup in my Eagle to save wear and tear on the front axles.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:35:39 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:19:13 PM »
I like the idea of the Ranger manual hubs, though I haven't looked into it too much yet, have you researched it?

Doc

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »
Only so far as MJs are concerned
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
Well if it can be made to work for an MJ it'll also work, or can be made to for an XJ, ZJ, TJ, etc. not shure how that translates to the Eagle though with it's unique front bearings/hubs

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »
I've already determined that when I inject her I'm going to use the stock Check Emissions Light as my Check Engine light/MIL...
In the dash cluster, there already is a Check Engine, as well as an Emission Maint light.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
I personally disable all my axle disconnects with a hose clamp and leave them disconnected. The exception is that I would like to have a front locker in one of my Eagles powered by a full time NV241OR transfer case. That Eagle will need a front axle disconnect to drive on the road. This kit is a great option for that, so I'm quite pleased with this information. Thanks!

As far as manual hubs, there is a good possibility that a solution for an XJ will work in an Eagle. An XJ or MJ wheel bearing unit has the same hole spacing as an Eagle and the same 27 spline shaft. If it works there, it will work in an Eagle if you bore the hole for the wheel bearing assembly by 3/16". Its a good idea to add a gusset at the same time.

Another thread recently by "Mr. Mindless" accomplished this with the deep 84-89 XJ bearing. I just purchased 90-99 XJ wheel bearings to install in my daily driver Eagle. Those won't require as aggressive boring as the older ones, but they stick out 3/16" further. I believe the XJ rotor makes up this difference and keeps the rotor surface in the same place to use the original caliper brackets.

In the future I would like to do the same thing with a pair of 5 on 5.5 front wheel bearings from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, in order to match up with a 5x5.5 Dana 44 in the rear. Using Jeep CJ rims would also allow for a bigger hole in the center to fit a locking hub assembly. I'm sure there is alot of solutions possible.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 08:06:32 PM »
I personally disable all my axle disconnects with a hose clamp and leave them disconnected.

I'm assuming you meant connected. The only problem with manual hubs is that you have to make sure they are locked before you put any transfer case with a viscous coupling in 4WD. Otherwise you will destroy the VC.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »
might have fun putting manual hubs on an eagle with stock hubs. the 1/2 shaft is splined directly in the hub like fwd cars are. the nut in the center is the stub shaft on the 1/2 shaft. i dont know of anything off the top of my head that could possibly work for manual hubs.

So are the stock XJ/MJ/ZJ shafts. Most Rangers are too. The difference is in the bearing assembly and a locking mechanism inside with a different outer spline.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 10:45:36 PM »
The Eagle CAD vacuum motor is different from Jeep versions, so the Posi-Lock for Jeep applications won't work as a direct bolt-in to an Eagle, but I imagine an Eagle disconnect housing could be modified to accept a cable similar to the one used in the Posi-Lock setup. San Antonio Brake & Clutch can make power control cables, so I know there are other places around the country that can make you a cable similar to the Posi-Lock of you are willing to butcher up one of the Eagle disco shifters.

The Warn/Mile-Marker/Ranger-style D30 5-on-4.5 lug pattern hub conversion available for the XJ/YJ/TJ/ZJ D30 comes with a pair of new outer stub shafts designed to work with manual locking hubs, which have a center selector which you must manually turn to engage the axleshaft to the wheel hub to allow it to transmit power(or disengage to freewheel). You DON'T simply bolt on the hubs - that's why the hub conversions aren't cheap - they come(came, back in 2002) with new outer shafts(which connect to the inner shaft via the cardan-cross-type universal joint), new bearings, new hubs for the bearings, and the lockouts. You also have to have the center hole in the rotors turned to a larger diameter to fit over the hubs, or at least I recall the Warn the conversion I did on my YJ back in 2002 had to have that done. Different outer stub shafts means there is NO WAY a hub conversion could be used for our Eagle's application, since we don't have cardan-joint front axle shafts. Custom built half shafts with the right type of outer retention, then sure, locking hubs could be done.

If you're going through that much trouble trying to get manual-locking hubs or a CAD actuator that works by cable, then you miche as well just do an XJ solid axle swap (non-CAD) and get an off-the-shelf locking hub conversion . . heck, throw in an ARB locker and upgraded inner shafts.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:09:09 AM by txjeeptx »
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »
I guess I just,assumed that the cad actuator was the same as thee early Cherokee, what with them having overlap in years, and both being Dana 30s, they have to be really close...

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 01:31:40 AM »
Cherokee ones are high pinion. Eagle ones are IFS low pinion.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 01:33:54 AM »
so, even tho the other axles are solid axles, their outter hubs where the bearings and all are might still work with the eagles for manual disconnect hubs?? just to make sure im following this right, youro talking about the center hubs you have to turn 1/4 turn to lock/unlock like on my old 70's fords correct?? i guess i havent paid any attention to jeeps. in my book, jeeps are about like cameros, and mustangs. lol. not alot of interest in them.

That's what I've been checking out.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 01:53:32 AM »
I personally disable all my axle disconnects with a hose clamp and leave them disconnected.

I'm assuming you meant connected. 

I meant disconnected to the vacuum system. One way to leave the front axle engaged is to plumb constant vacuum to the vacuum diaphragm. It doesn't stay engaged if you just unplug it. That's one more potential source of vacuum leak, so the hose clamp keeps the fork extended and axle engaged without any assistance from the vacuum motor.

Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »
Carnuck,

I realize that the xj is a high pinion vs the eagle low & long pinion IFS, but none of  that precludes the CAD being the same(It's out on the shaft anyway), for example most YJs are CAD equipped, and they are low pinion

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »
Carnuck,

I realize that the xj is a high pinion vs the eagle low & long pinion IFS, but none of  that precludes the CAD being the same(It's out on the shaft anyway), for example most YJs are CAD equipped, and they are low pinion

I was going somewhere with that and now I don't remember what it was?

Offline xtreamedrtbker

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 12:49:16 AM »
I have a 85 and looking at building a 84 diff for the front and running a manual disconnect with a posi lok system. Anyone tryed the jeep one on a eagle axle yet?

I am looking at doing this because my car see so much 2wd time I think the loss of drag of spinning the driveshaft and transfer case would be worth the work. Come winter I can just leave it locked in all the time.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 01:44:54 AM »
Carnuck,

I was going somewhere with that and now I don't remember what it was?

I recall now. Manual locking hub assemblies with bearings from an '80s Ford Bronco II or Ranger

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 01:54:48 AM »
I have a 85 and looking at building a 84 diff for the front and running a manual disconnect with a posi lok system. Anyone tryed the jeep one on a eagle axle yet?

I am looking at doing this because my car see so much 2wd time I think the loss of drag of spinning the driveshaft and transfer case would be worth the work. Come winter I can just leave it locked in all the time.

You need VERY synthetic oil to cut friction or the driveshaft will start spinning anyways.

Offline BajaMx1983SX4

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2023, 07:18:41 PM »
Any updated info? how about using a Posi-Lock for a 1983 Chevy S-10? (IRS too)

Regards,
G.A.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2023, 12:47:36 AM »
It’s been years since I hear from you guys. I’m almost done with my AMC Eagle stuff so I can move back to Canada. I have a 2.72 vacuum diff that I considerer doing a cable for along with the clutch and brake pedals. The snow just melted and the stuff is getting loaded up. I’m near Seattle and I sure could have used Brown Betty this past winter. For a 2.72 rear axle someone wanted, Jeep Cherokee and Wagoneer with 6 cyl 999 auto were common (need axles from an M24/20 in an XJ to fit it into) and some YJs too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk