News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 09:27:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1980 Minimalist Vacuum Lines - What are these?  (Read 10123 times)

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
1980 Minimalist Vacuum Lines - What are these?
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:46:39 PM »
I ran a search for 1980 in the Emissions board and couldn't find any 1980 specific threads. Perhaps this can be a one stop for Emissions/Vacuum Q&A for stripped down 1980 issues.

My first q is for a 1980 2dr Sedan (surprisingly there are some significant differences between my 2 1980 2dr's under the hood)

Are these necessary? And what do they hook up to below the intake? Temp switch? My other '80 does not have this setup.
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon
1980 Eagle Sedan (2 door sport)

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Re: 1980 Minimalist Vacuum Lines - What are these?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
Got any better pictures?
If you are keeping the factory set up. most likely every thing goes to something.
If planing on taking all but the basic vacuum system, look for a older vacuum diagram and use that as a template.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
Here's a vacuum diagram that looks to me like what you have.

I know that it sounds funny, but I'd keep the distributor vacuum setup like you have with the pipes going down to the CTO switch and the non-linear regulator. If I recall correctly, it's to improve drivability when the engine is cold and to add a little advance at idle so you have less hesitation starting out. Your distributor advance is set up to work with the advance the vacuum system gives and you may have some problems without it.

Also, that back bolt hole should NOT connect to the inside of the manifold.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »
With the Non-Feedback Carter you can run a direct connection from you distributor advance to ported vacuum on the carb and a direct connection from your PCV valce to manifold vacuum on the base of the carter or from the inake manifold.  There are 50 ways to plumb this 1980 setup.  This way is the easiest if you are ubsure if everything is there and/or working.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 03:33:27 AM »
Its being a long time, but if I remember correct there should be vacuum diagrams here on the forum.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »
Did you ever get an answer to your Question? I also have 2, 2 door sedans. One is a 1980 and the other is a 1981. It is dark now but I can take a look in the morning for you.

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
Did you ever get an answer to your Question? I also have 2, 2 door sedans. One is a 1980 and the other is a 1981. It is dark now but I can take a look in the morning for you.
Millard, sorry man. I've been away from the board for a while while I swapped motors and generally tried to enjoy the non-existent summer up here. I've decided to 'naturally' strip everything and go minimalist. So these will get turfed. :)

Still now that I know you're a Sedan Man I may hit you up at a later date.
Check out a sunroof post of mine posted just now.
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon
1980 Eagle Sedan (2 door sport)

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:43:22 PM »
Got any pictures of your cars posted? I am getting ready to repaint my brown 2 door. Going with original colors on it. The paint is great for the age but it has too many little parking lot dings. Absolutely no rust though. Once It's painted and I've assured it's future as an antique. I may sell it so I can do the same for my black one. I already replaced the dreaded heater core so by doing that and the paint it will now be near perfect. i will enjoy it a bit but I like the satisfaction of saving them by making them a viable collector car.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk