News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:37:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how many Eagles does it take?  (Read 8933 times)

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
how many Eagles does it take?
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »
I've been having a problem with the 83 with the new motor.
This morning on the way to work the 88 quit.  I was driving along nicely about 40 or so and it just was no longer running.  Luckily I hit a spot of light traffic and had enough momentum to coast across a lane, up a hill and into the parking lot of a deserted store.  My wife picked me up and took me to work.

I couldn't get it to start.  It turned over great.  Once in a while it would start but would die immediately.
A man in a mechanic uniform walked by and stopped.  He saw me trying to start it and said it's getting gas.  He then said he worked at a shop around the corner and let them know if I needed them.

They said they would look at it right away.  As I was leaving I saw the original man and one who was supposed to know carbs and vacuum were walking toward my Eagle.

When I came back after work the mechanic was gone for the day.  The original man said he said (don't you love that?)
it was the ignition module.  The boss said they would look at it tomorrow and let me know what they find.

I replaced the ignition module soon after getting this Eagle, but it was several years ago.  I know they can go bad, especially replacement modules.

I'm not a happy Eagle owner at this time.   I have invested literally thousands of dollars in these things.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: how many Eagles does it take?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »
Sorry to hear. I was going to suggest ignition module also. I had one go bad after only a few months. Put in an MSD and never looked back.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:34:07 PM »
See if you can find genuine Motorcraft parts, the quality has been better for me then in aftermarket ignition parts.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »
I am sorry to hear about the troubles.  I definitely hear your pain.  I have spent a ton of money on my Eagle.  Seems everytime I get ready to do an upgrade something else breaks down on it.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:53:46 PM »
I am sorry to hear about the troubles.  I definitely hear your pain.  I have spent a ton of money on my Eagle.  Seems everytime I get ready to do an upgrade something else breaks down on it.
Our Eagles are 23-30 years old. I have friends with much newer cars and hear what they are spending to fix them. A friend has a 2000 Excursion with only 130k miles and he has spent several thousand dollars fixing it in the last few months. I could have bought a few Eagles for the same money.  ;D Another has a 08 Honda Civic Hybrid with 100k miles. It's been eating left rear tires since new and they keep telling him there is nothing wrong. He's had a rear control arm break while driving, a wheel bearing fail and now he needs a new catalytic converter for $1,500. Every time I hear these stories I love my Eagle even more. I've spent some time and money on my Eagle but it is extremely reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to get into it and drive to Alaska, as long as I didn't have to pay for the gas.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:30:33 AM »
I switched to a GM HEI distrbutor (after cutting the computer out of things on a TFI upgrade) and made some extra room on my inner fender.  Works like a hot darn now!
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:04:59 AM »
Our Eagles are 23-30 years old. I have friends with much newer cars and hear what they are spending to fix them. A friend has a 2000 Excursion with only 130k miles and he has spent several thousand dollars fixing it in the last few months. I could have bought a few Eagles for the same money.  ;D Another has a 08 Honda Civic Hybrid with 100k miles. It's been eating left rear tires since new and they keep telling him there is nothing wrong. He's had a rear control arm break while driving, a wheel bearing fail and now he needs a new catalytic converter for $1,500. Every time I hear these stories I love my Eagle even more. I've spent some time and money on my Eagle but it is extremely reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to get into it and drive to Alaska, as long as I didn't have to pay for the gas.
i was at the parts store the other day pricing some parts and a guy called in looking for plugs for a Audi A6 Quattro and it was almost $200 for the plugs alone.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 06:16:45 AM »
I hope that is all it is Jim.  Yeah, the joys any old car are tempered occasionally by issues like this.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:51:20 AM »
Jim, if you want I can send ya the box I took off my wagon when I did the hei.  Lemmie know if your interested
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »
I plan to talk to the mechanic again before I make a decision.

I found my paperwork.  I bought this module from Advance  38 months ago.  It has a limited lifetime replacement warranty, whatever that means.  I paid $22 for it.  Now Advance's web site shows them out of stock.  NAPA has one for $119.  Rockauto shows 2  -  $65 and $80.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 06:00:03 PM »
Will they honor the warranty with a better one Jim?  I think the warranty kind of says you get one free replacement.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »
I switched to a GM HEI distrbutor (after cutting the computer out of things on a TFI upgrade) and made some extra room on my inner fender.  Works like a hot darn now!

GMs can fail also. In my years of AMC driving I've had just 2 pickup coils fail - 1 in a 79 Concord and 1 in an 81 SX4. The fender modules are still fine.   
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
I picked up the Eagle after work today.  They scanned the engine and charged me $124 to replace the spark plugs.  Embarrassing.  However, I'm not sure that is all that was wrong.  It stalled one time on the way home.  Temp was about 90, ac running, and when I turned a corner it quit.  This time it did start right back up.  The sol vac evidently isn't working.  I've noticed a little vibration somewhere when idling with the ac running.  I bumped the idle 1/2 turn; it didn't even register on the inaccurate aftermarket tach, but the engine seemed to smooth out.
I'm going to drive it a few days and see what happens.
We're expecting our third severe storm in little over a week tonight and rain the rest of the week.  We're going to my Mother's for Easter.   I won't be doing anything Eagle not emergency related the rest of this week.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »
Heat can hurt the ignition module, and the ignition coil. A coil going bad can give you the symptoms you're talking about.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
No worries Jim. I too had an embarrassing moment with my Eagle as well. I have let it sit for a few months since it wouldn't start and the steering was "jittery". Jumped it but it wouldn't start. So just let it sit all this time. Finally today decided to pull the battery and get it tested (less than 3 y/o battery mind you and solenoid was changed out not to long ago too).
Battery was toast (luckily still under free replacement warranty), got new battery and she fired right up. And no "jittery" steering either, must have been some moisture in the lines that had frozen up causing that to happen a few months ago. I didn't even renew the tags on it in February due to these problems, since I wasn't going to be driving it anyways. And it had been too cold to mess with it much for awhile, then here lately all the darn rain and storms :/

Anyways, you're not alone in those embarrassing moments  ;)

Stay safe during this storm, hope it doesn't get too nasty.
I hopefully have everything battened down.
Looks like that Mena/Scott storm might hit us  :( . It did last week as well but luckily weakened alot by the time it hit, did knock some peoples tree's down here. My mom had a big tree hit her Saturn, luckily some not-so-bad dents but it did sheer her side mirror off.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:39:50 PM by MudPuppy »
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk