News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Side & Rear Window Louvers  (Read 99411 times)

Offline sx4brosco

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 59
  • '81 Eagle SX/4
Re: Side & Rear Window Louvers
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »
If the sellers claim of "all years of AMX/Javelin" includes the "Spirit AMX" then they would fit on an Eagle SX4
Rustomod to Restomod

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2009, 06:22:12 PM »
If the sellers claim of "all years of AMX/Javelin" includes the "Spirit AMX" then they would fit on an Eagle SX4

You're absolutley right, but I didn't see anything confirming that. Would be great if he made them though.
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
Hey, any updates Maverike? I just found this, and am really excited that someone even thought of the idea!

-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »
Hey, any updates Maverike? I just found this, and am really excited that someone even thought of the idea!

I have been procrastinating on this for months... actually over a year now.... but, the only update I now have is - I have everything I need to make them except actual building materials. The problem now is time. I just got the furnace running in the garage and the LP tank is hooked up. The welder is here. I have my misc tools, helmet, grinder and my supplies... all boxed up in the corner just calling my name... I also have everything to make fiberglass louvers. I have a set of plastic louvers and a metal set to use as templates... and here's the best part - I also have the side window louvers to mold/weld from as well.

So, although this project has not officialy kicked off... the good news is that I now have most of what I need to make them AND I will attempt to make them in both metal and fiberglass. I hope to eventually be able to offer both of them to nesters with an estimated wait time of two weeks for shipment when I start out.

And FYI - the very first prototype set(s *one of each*) will be put up for auction here on the nest where I will start a thread with an end date... and Nester's will be able to bid. I have a fluid method of executing this that I will explain when the time draws closer to product completion. I will have every set engraved on the underside with a production number (yeah, I even bought an engraving tool for this) and I will also have the unofficial Eagle Nest logo on it as well. (The logo you see in my avatar without the cars in it). Hopefully, this adds a bit of collectability to the louvers and makes the buyer feel like they got "more" out of their purchase.

Now, cost will not be cheap... not because I want to make a million on here, but simply because materials aren't cheap. Besides the fact that I have already invested near $800 in tools for this project and countless hours of research and design.... but the materials aren't cheap. For a lightweight, high-grade, non-corrosive - yet durable metal (which I cannot recall the name of)... you're talking like $100 in the metal alone and that just comes in a large sheet and/or roll... no telling how much waste there will be and if the $100 will totally cover it, plus the flux wiring for the welder, the support rods, and all the mounting gear. The fiberglass louvers will be a bit cheaper... the fiberglass and resin will run around 70$ per set. And then there's paint... I can just treat and prime them pretty cheap, but I intend on offering painted louvers as well to match your specific car (if you so desire). I'm guessing that will add about a $25 kick depending on the paint color and availability.

Of course, these are rough estimates only - and that's only materials... not sure how long they will take me to make.... now I don't like to charge labor for something I enjoy - but I highly doubt I will enjoy making them after the first few, LOL and you gotta remember that I don't have a 250 thousand dollar machine to stamp up a dozen of these for me real quick. These will be hand crafted individually out of premium materials... if it takes me a whole Saturday to make the metal ones... or an hour a day for 4 or 5 days for the fiberglass louvers... ya, someone's gonna pay because I could be out working on one of my other cars to fix and sell, LMAO! Hey, don't hate me man... the whole point of making these was to give guys like you and I an alternative to buying something that isn't used, abused, and WAY over priced like on the popular bidding sites. It costs money and time and I have to factor that into the price, but I promise you that I will price them as reasonable as possible.

I'm guessing around $200-250 for a rear window metal set. Maybe $150-200 for fiberglass... thats without paint.
Side louvers probably around about the same... maybe about $25-50 cheaper in either material.

That's where it stands as of right now... for the Wagon guys, sorry, but the SX4 louvers come first. I don't have a template for the Wagon because they have never been made - but rest assured, I will start them shortly after completion of the first SX4 prototypes. I just need to follow a template the first couple times so that I really know what I'm doing so that when it comes time to make the Wagon louvers - I'll have a good idea on how/where to start. I don't think they will be hard at all though.

With all of that being said, if anyone wants to donate to the cause and send me some sheets of durable metal to work with or otherwise help fund the project monetarily - I won't say no, lol! I think if everyone can be patient a bit longer - I'll be fine on gathering materials on my own without any donations - but certainly, if you want to speed up the process, send me an IM and we'll talk. Maybe we can work out a deal for your purchase and if you fund the first prototype then you get a set for free? Heck, I don't know. Someone mentioned it to me before and I turned them down. Depending on the circumstances, we may be able to work something out. I want to get to it soon, but if you can't tell - I'm not really in any hurry, lol!

But anyways, that's the deelio! The scoop! The 411!
The AMC Eagle

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
Whew!  That made me tired just reading all of that.  It sounds like your ducks are getting lined up Chas!   Way to go.   I suppose I will have to buy a set, some time.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline amc78concord

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2009, 09:49:21 PM »
Hey, thanks for the update Mavericke.  I'm not rushing you in any way, I think what you're doing is genius... And I can understand how "life" can get into the way.  You take as much time as possible, and then the quality is also a plus.  If I could send you supplies for the cause, I sure as heck would...but I have none such! But yes, take all the time you need, and I absolutely cannot wait to see them when they're completed.  Keep us posted Mavericke!

:duck: <--- I love this smiley, thought I'd put it in here for absolutely no reason lol
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »
Yeah, it's all slowly but steadliy coming together... slow and steady wins the race afterall.

I'll get'em done eventually.

Man, I just started re-reading that post of mine... and I only made halfway through before I got tired of listening to myself. I should have summed it up like this.

Got the tools. Need the materials. Getting started soon. I'll be in touch, LOL!

The AMC Eagle

Offline amc78concord

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2009, 10:25:24 PM »
Yeah, it's all slowly but steadliy coming together... slow and steady wins the race afterall.

I'll get'em done eventually.

Man, I just started re-reading that post of mine... and I only made halfway through before I got tired of listening to myself. I should have summed it up like this.

Got the tools. Need the materials. Getting started soon. I'll be in touch, LOL!

LOL I actually read the whole thing. But it's ok, we all understand that in your previous life you were an TOP SELLING NOVEL AUTHOR  ::) ;D
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle SX/4
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2009, 10:40:50 PM »
Let's hope it was non-fiction! ;D
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline guitar eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2009, 10:55:21 PM »
man i would love to get a set of those from you, rear and sides, it would be cool if some how you could incorporate eagle feathers or some thing to do with a bald eagle in your designs. i think what your doing is great and it is greatly appreciated. thank you very much for your time and hard work getting this together. ;D
my you tube sight, mostly vids of me and micks band.          http://www.youtube.com/user/guitarsinske

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »
Some say I should spend more time with my writing skills... that maybe if I learned all the rules and proper puntuation and stuff - I may be able to do something with it.

I say to heck with that, lol... not that there's anything wrong with it, but I can't stay focused on one subject too long, lol! It's called ADD and it's pretty cool because it keeps you going - but you gotta learn to MAKE yourself finish things. It's why I have a million unfinished projects... but I stay busy and eventually they ALL do get finished.

Look... I'm starting it already... I started off talking about writing... andf then I'm talking about being ADD.... SQUIRREL!!!!

LOL!

Anyways, one day I'll the louver's done. I set a date last year for the Meet in July/August... so I'm only a few months behind schedule, LOL!
The AMC Eagle

Offline guitar eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »
hey man i was just checking out your band you guys sound real good, i just sent you an invite from my myspace. im also in a band with another eagles nest member mick. check us out tell me what you think. cya man.
my you tube sight, mostly vids of me and micks band.          http://www.youtube.com/user/guitarsinske

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »
hey man i was just checking out your band you guys sound real good, i just sent you an invite from my myspace. im also in a band with another eagles nest member mick. check us out tell me what you think. cya man.

Hey rock on man! I'll try to log in tonight and check it out! We gotta get into the studio soon... those garage recordings are horrible. Just waiting on my throat to heal up. I recently had surgery and I'm the singer - so yeah, it kinda put a damper on things. But it's been a few months... we've already played a show and we're practicing as often as we can. It won't be much longer till I feel back up to speed.
The AMC Eagle

Offline guitar eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2009, 09:53:52 PM »
well god bless you brother, for garage recordings it sounded real good to me. my you tube link is also at the bottom of all my eagles nest replys. im in wyoming and what a nest meet it would be if both our bands met up some where and rocked out, im the lead guitar player in my band and mick, a fellow nester is the bass player. just so you can put faces to the names. take care man.

Offline bruno2260

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »
Hey Mavericke, can you post any pic's of your louvers that you may have started or of a car that you done?
I'm very interested, but would like to see a sample pic.
Thanks.
'82 SX/4 258 (mint)
'82 SX/4 Iron Duke
'96 5.2 ZJ (Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited)
'89 F250 Utility Body 7.3
'91 Focus (30 mpg)
'08 FXDWG (Dyna Wide Glide)
'06 XL 1200 (Sportster)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk