The Mighty 258 > Emissions/Vacuum Systems

Smogging/Registering Out-of-State Eagle in California

(1/2) > >>

TahoEagle:
Hi All,

Over the summer I purchased an 85 Eagle wagon in Lake Tahoe, where I have lived the past two years. It was purchased new in Nevada and has been registered there its whole life. Recently, however, work has seen me relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area, and I'm going to have to find myself up against California's infamous smogging/DMV process. I haven't had any work done to the car emissions-wise since I've purchased it, though I do plan on having at least a basic tune-up done on it before I spend the money to get it tested. Are there any other California Eagle owners out there with any advice on a non-California Eagle passing a California emissions test?

If it does fail hopelessly, California also offers a "Historical Vehicle" plate as an option, which my Eagle would be eligible for and make it smog exempt, but the law stipulates that its intended for vehicles to be used in parades, car shows, auto club events, etc., and my Eagle is basically a daily driver. Anyone have any potential know-how as to how strictly that's enforced? I know this is a kind of California specific post but any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

rollguy:
California has the treadmill test for most vehicles.  1980 Eagles (as with any other full time 4X4) only need the 2 speed test with the sniffer.   If your car was not able to shift out of 4 wheel drive (hint, hint), then they would only be able to do the less stringent 2 speed test.  However, all of the emissions equipment must be intact and working good regardless of which test is done.  I would advise to pay for a pre-test, so it would not get the "gross polluter" status if it fails.  I would check and/or replace all of the hoses in the vapor recovery system (charcoal canister), and put on a new gas cap as well.  If these hoses are original, they probably need replacing anyway being 25 years old.   

ammachine390:
You will probably need the feedback system functioning correctly, so if the computer has been bypassed, you may have to undo that.  Also, you probably need your pulse air and definitely need the catalytic converter. Do you know if your car still has all that?

tougeagle:

--- Quote from: rollguy on February 01, 2011, 09:26:36 PM ---California has the treadmill test for most vehicles.  1980 Eagles (as with any other full time 4X4) only need the 2 speed test with the sniffer.   If your car was not able to shift out of 4 wheel drive (hint, hint), then they would only be able to do the less stringent 2 speed test.  However, all of the emissions equipment must be intact and working good regardless of which test is done.  I would advise to pay for a pre-test, so it would not get the "gross polluter" status if it fails.  I would check and/or replace all of the hoses in the vapor recovery system (charcoal canister), and put on a new gas cap as well.  If these hoses are original, they probably need replacing anyway being 25 years old.  

--- End quote ---
They don't test these cars on the 4x4 dyno? Interesting... We test these only on the 4x4, even if it's select drive.

rollguy:

--- Quote from: tougeagle on February 01, 2011, 10:31:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: rollguy on February 01, 2011, 09:26:36 PM ---California has the treadmill test for most vehicles.  1980 Eagles (as with any other full time 4X4) only need the 2 speed test with the sniffer.   If your car was not able to shift out of 4 wheel drive (hint, hint), then they would only be able to do the less stringent 2 speed test.  However, all of the emissions equipment must be intact and working good regardless of which test is done.  I would advise to pay for a pre-test, so it would not get the "gross polluter" status if it fails.  I would check and/or replace all of the hoses in the vapor recovery system (charcoal canister), and put on a new gas cap as well.  If these hoses are original, they probably need replacing anyway being 25 years old.  

--- End quote ---
They don't test these cars on the 4x4 dyno? Interesting... We test these only on the 4x4, even if it's select drive.

--- End quote ---
I am not aware of any equipment here in CA that will work with a full time 4X4.  The drive wheels are placed on the rollers, and the others on the floor.   I had my '85 sport wagon tested before I sold it, and the guy did the 2 speed test and did not use the rollers.  He asked me if it was full time 4X4, and I said no (the front shaft was not hooked up).  He asked the question again in a different way (winking his eye), and said he would not be able to do the treadmill test.  It passed with the 2 speed test.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version