News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 03:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: t-case replacement this weekend-need advice  (Read 5459 times)

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
t-case replacement this weekend-need advice
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »
Hi all,
I'll be tackling replacing my bad 129 with a (fingers crossed) good one this weekend.  I've got the removal and install instructions from this site and it looks pretty straightforward.  I have never done this job before.  I will have a helper, but also with no experience.

I have new U-joints to install also.

What else should/can I replace when doing this job?  I see that there is an O-ring on the speedo cable that needs replaced....where can I get that one?  It doesn't show up in any parts searches that I have done.

Any other seals, etc. that I should collect before tackling this?  All advice appreciated, as always.
DarthGremlin :amc:
Patrick        Palmyra, VA
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
2017 Jeep Renegade Altitude
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

68AMXGOPAC

Re: t-case replacement this weekend-need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
Might as well replace the  seals where the driveshafts enter the case and check the inner one where it bolts to the tranny.I did all of mine while they were apart and out, easy job.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »
I agree, it may be worthwhile to replace the yoke seals, especially the rear, before you install the new TC.

I'd get an assortment of O rings somewhere, you can get a whole assortment cheap anymore.

Make sure you have plenty of ATF around, and you'll need some RTV unless there's a gasket they make for the TC. I didn't find one last time I did it. I used Permetex Black, and it's held up well.

You may need some vacuum hose for the connections, if not be sure to clean the hoses and connector of oil then wipe down with silicone spray lube, and make sure your vacuum motor works before you go through in case you need to swap your old one over.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
Transfer caseto transmission needs no seal. Unless you plan on crossing rivers. there is no fluid in that area. Gasket is not available anyway. Driveshaft doesn't enter the case on stock eagle cases.

Manitowoc WI

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:01:12 PM »
Ok , so I guess I should of been specific and said "yokes" , and not got egg on my face.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »
No eggs thrown.

Meant to also say that non needed gasket area is best made with a cutout of acaseof beverage. It was that type of material ish oem.

Manitowoc WI

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:53:02 PM »
OK, so how many different seals are we talking about?  Autozone shows a 'front output shaft seal' and an 'input shaft seal'......don't see anything else available. Is it just those two? And I need the O-ring variety pack...

do I have that correct?  Anything else?

Thanks for the advice!
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »
Speedo oring is about 1.75 and .65 thick. I just miked it. Ichanged many trans and never replaced that gasket. Your call if it looks good run withv it. Some silicone it going back in again I never did. No leakers.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:07:46 PM »
.65 terrible.its not over half. Inch thick. 

.065.      Haha I Can"t read

Manitowoc WI

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 11:09:44 AM »
Okay, I know this question will expose how dumb I really am about these things, but I need to ask...

I've got the replacement transmission/transfer case sitting on the garage floor.  The plan for today was to remove the old transfer case from the car, detach the new transfer case from the transmission, then install in car.  THREE EASY STEPS!

While waiting for my help to arrive, I started to try to remove the replacement transfer case from the transmission sitting on the garage floor.  All the instructions I have seen say to remove it at the t-case to adapter stud nuts.  I cant seem to remove the one that is at the shift motor bracket, nor the one underneath.  Seem like if I completely strip those, I'm dead in the water for today.

Am I removing this at the right place?  Or am I supposed to remove the whole thing at the adapter to trans bolts and put the case/adapter in as one unit?

Sorry if this sounds dumb...

Also, last night I had found a post somewhere that had lots of pictures of the t-case removal, but today, of course, I can't find it.  Can anybody point me to such a thing?
1984 AMC Eagle Limited

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »
Sounds right

Manitowoc WI

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 04:15:09 PM »
Not sure where the post is, but that's where I split mine apart.I took it out one piece , but split the new one to put it back in. That's the best place to split IMO , because you can use the studs to locate it, and it helps hold it in place while you get the nuts on.......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk