News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:38:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You bought what?? 88 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build  (Read 89105 times)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: You bought what?? 88 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2017, 01:47:47 PM »
Well, shoot.

The plan for a 2" rear lift was to put in a Jeep XJ add-a-leaf.  I took it apart over the weekend and found that the right side was busted at the bushing.  I'm surprised it didn't come out!  Maybe this explains why the rear flare on that side is all chewed up - maybe the axle has wandered in the past.

Looks like I'll need to get new spring packs.  I hear ESPO has them, anybody got a better idea?

I also broke a bolt on each of the rear shackles, so I'll need to source those also.  Fun!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:02:53 PM by amarshall »
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »
hi, I recommend www.stengelbros.com, in PA. they sell different gauges. get the extra heavy duty springs, they will lift up the rear end nicely. good luck, gz

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
hi, I recommend www.stengelbros.com, in PA. they sell different gauges. get the extra heavy duty springs, they will lift up the rear end nicely. good luck, gz

Thanks, just talked to them and got a quote.  They didn't have shackles, so I'll need to find those somewhere else.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
hi, the stock Eagle shackles are unobtainium, may have to rework a Jeep set, do a search for shackles from TEagle here, to get an idea what can be done. good luck, gz

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:12 PM »
I had some made at a local spring fab shop . But that was last century , in '94 I think. Or do like amcfool1 suggests.  RockAuto has the springs and bushings in stock .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2017, 10:15:05 PM »
Well I made the mistake of looking on the forum for other options for rear leafs, just to get another price.  I found a thread from 2008-2010 with a bunch of folks saying that they had bought leafs from ESPO, KCSPrings, McVeigh that had all quickly flattened out.  Ugh.  This is old info, but I hate to risk it.

Looks like the Stengel Bros may be the best bet.  I'm also on the trail of some CJ7 shackles, it looks like they might work.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 10:18:39 PM »
I got new shackles from ESPO. They didn't have the stock length but had compatible ones that were 1 inch or so longer which results in about a half inch lift

I got my leaf springs from Stengelbros. It's been about 4 years and they've held up (not many miles in those 4 years though)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
I got new shackles from ESPO. They didn't have the stock length but had compatible ones that were 1 inch or so longer which results in about a half inch lift

I got my leaf springs from Stengelbros. It's been about 4 years and they've held up (not many miles in those 4 years though)

I really appreciate that feedback.  Always good to hear from somebody who has actually been there.  If you have 4 years without sagging, that's great.  I wouldn't think mileage would matter too much, anyway.  Most cars sit for 23 hours a day anyway.  Beating them up on a trail is another level of abuse, but I think I can deal with that risk.

Between new leafs, different shackles, and the set of add-a-leafs I bought before I knew my springs were busted - this math is getting too complicated!  I may end up doing some experiments once I have all the parts on hand. At least there are options!

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2017, 02:02:01 PM »
There is a big Jeep parts store about 20 minutes from me, down here in Florida.  I went over yesterday and made their counter guy show me every shackle and hanger they had in stock.  Walked out with some Jeep CJ parts that should work on my wagon.  The counter guy was laughing, saying "I really didn't think you were going to find anything when you walked in."  Nice!

Here are the old hangers and shackles.  The top bolt on both shackles sheared off when I took them apart.

Here are all the Jeep CJ7 parts, my Frankenstein solution.  UPDATE:  These shackles didn't work for me.  Read the next post to find out why.

Stock CJ shackles are 3" between shafts, and Eagle wagon is 3 1/2".  These CJ shackles are advertised to raise a CJ7 by 3/8", and they are 3 3/4" between the shafts.  That's the closest I could find for the Eagle.  UPDATE:  These shackles didn't work for me.  Read the next post to find out why.

The Eagle shackles are narrower at the top (why, AMC, just why?!?!) but the Jeep CJ versions are straight.  So I got a CJ hanger bracket also.  The hole pattern is different but it can be redrilled to the Eagle pattern, there is plenty of material.  Should bolt in place.

All the bushings are stock Eagle specs, and I confirmed on RockAuto that the uppers are shared with CJ7's.

The shackles were $36 for the pair, and the hangers were $16 each.  That's $70 I didn't want to spend but the new stuff is a lot heavier so I will be happy in the long run I think.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:46:49 PM by amarshall »

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2017, 03:33:59 PM »
Good news:  The CJ shackle hangers worked after I redrilled some new holes in an Eagle pattern.

Bad news:  The huge CJ shackles I found (above) won't work.  There isn't a lot of clearance between the hanger and the channel where the rear bumper mounts.  The new hanger is wider too, which makes it even tighter.

Here is a mock-up with the stock Eagle shackle installed upside down.  My thumb is covering the busted bolt which started this whole thing.

Only a stock style shackle with a pressed in pin will fit without surgery.  In fact, the shackle rubs a little so I'll need to take a BFH and create some space in that little area of the body.  Even 1/8" should do it.

I went back to the parts store today and swapped out the fancy shackles for a bone stock CJ7 shackle.  It's 3" between pins, so it's shorter than the stock Eagle shackle by 1/2".  This should create a 1/4" drop for the Eagle, but that's as close as I can get without doing some custom fabrication.

I ordered a set of springs from Stengel, and I still have the Jeep XJ add-a-leaf kit too.  I would return it but the shipping charges would be more than I spent on it!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:47:43 PM by amarshall »

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »
I'm having trouble seeing the first picture in your post two times ago and then also the picture in the last post you made. It's just a big circle minus sign but looks like there should be an image showing.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »
I'm having trouble seeing the first picture in your post two times ago and then also the picture in the last post you made. It's just a big circle minus sign but looks like there should be an image showing.

Argh, they are fixed I think.  Strange, I swear I'm using the same process every time.  Thanks for the heads up!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2017, 07:53:08 AM »
It's weird for me. Sometimes certain ones show up and others don't or they all show. I use different devices and it happens on all of them.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline ChickenFarmer3

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fly like an Eagle!!
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »
I'm about to do new leaf springs.  I am hoping my shackles are in good shape.  Good luck on your replacement.  I will be following.  An Egg for you!!

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2017, 02:48:19 PM »
Looks like I have my shackle problem solved. I ended up using bone stock Jeep CJ7 shackles and hangers.  Hangers had to be re-drilled in an Eagle bolt pattern.  Shackles were about $12 per side, and included bushings too.

The CJ7 hangers and shackles are wider than the Eagle, so I had to create some clearance.  I tried a large hammer, but access is tight and that channel is pretty strong.  I ended up using a grinder to get in there and cut out a square roughly 1.25" in size, just enough for the head of the shackle pin.

That tube inside the channel is the rear bumper support.  Amazing how clean it was in there.  I hit the area with some paint, trying to keep the rust away.

Not my best work ever, but it will be fine.  Waiting for my new springs to arrive, and then I can bolt it all back together.

In the meantime, I removed my Class II Hitch and hit with a wire wheel to clean it up.  The original paint was falling off in sheets.  A quick coat of epoxy paint and it looks much better.  Of course I had to cut a couple bolts to get it off, so I'll need to get some new hardware.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:39:19 PM by amarshall »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk