News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:08:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestions on carburetors  (Read 3444 times)

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
Suggestions on carburetors
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »
I'll be getting an '87 Eagle Limited in a couple of weeks from PA up here to New Mexico.  I'll be making the high altitude changes as required.  If it's running well with the carter carb, and being that Albuquerque is picky on emissions tests, I was wondering if anyone's had experience with other carb types that preserve the visuals under the hood.  I had Guaranteed Carbs in FL rebuild a factory '79 Toyota Cressida carburetor and he did a fantastic job.  Was thinking of having him do a carter for when (not if) the original gets loopy.  Any suggestions or recommendations?   :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: Suggestions on carburetors
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »
I've never had a problem passing a Motorcraft 2150 through NM emissions.  As long as you properly configure the vac for the EGR, PCv and distributor there should be no problems at all.  At the tail pipe the Motorcraft will burn cleaner than the Carter ever did.  It is posssible to mod a stock air cleaner with a little work to fit on top as well if it's a requirement in your area.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:16:24 PM »
I know in California it is illegal to change the carberator, but it is also not required to by the Smog station to remove anything.  If they pull the aircleaner they may know but they shouldn't pull an air cleaner.... if that makes any sense.  As long as the tail pipe is clean I think you will be in good shape. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »
I know in California it is illegal to change the carberator,

:o Remind me to never move to California..

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
I live in Alaska now... not totally because of the carburetor reason but it was definitely a factor ;)
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »
CA is definitely a tricky place to swap carbs.  MOST of the time, as long as it passes on the 1st test, the testers don't do any digging around.  I also recommend taking the C.A.R.B tag off of the carter and putting it on the Motorcraft.  It pays to play dumb too.  I have had no problems with passing a Motorcraft in any other state.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
That's one of the huge issues with California's emissions program is the attention to the visual inspection.  Even if you make that car way cleaner if it isn't a factory setup you are going to have to go through hoops to make it legit in their eyes.  Even my 4.0 swap was like that.
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk