News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 10:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leaking coolant question...  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Crandall1

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
Leaking coolant question...
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
Hey, guys:

First post, yay. I'm on the hunt for my first Eagle; I'm going to look at one tomorrow that is in my price range, and the seller says the following:

"It's leaking anti-freeze, and I'm about as mechanically inclined as a squirrel. My friend says it probably just needs the belts tightened or the water pump replaced (which costs $12 online if that's the case). I don't know what the heck either of those things means, but I can't afford to pay someone $90 to "look at it" only to find out it just needed a stupid bolt or something tightened."

I should mention at this juncture that I live in Phoenix, and the trip from the seller's house to mine is 28 miles on the highway, or more like 40 on surface streets. The Eagle, which is otherwise in good shape best I can tell, is $700.

Basically, my questions are thus:

1. What should I look for to determine how bad this problem is?

2. How should I prepare to get it home, assuming it is going to overheat? Should I bring extra anti-freeze with me? Can I just use distilled water? Should I pack a lunch?

It is an '82 wagon with a 4.2L and 103K miles. Thanks in advance!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Leaking coolant question...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »
If coolant is leaking only when it is running, chances are it is a bad water pump.   You can buy or "rent" (buy it, use it, and return it for a full refund) a cooling system pressure tester from most auto parts chain stores (Autozone, Oreiley, etc).
Pull the radiator cap, connect the tester to the radiator, pump it up and look for a leak.   If the water pump is bad, you should be able to see coolant coming out the weep hole of the pump shaft.     If that is the only problem (not a blown head gasket),  I would not hesitate to buy the car at that price.   A water pump job is an easy fix on these cars.   When (and if) you go to get the new part, make sure to tell the parts guy if you have V belts, or serpentine belt.  The serpentine belt pump turns counter-clockwise, and will not pump correctly if used on a V belt engine (and vice-versa).
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
Welcome to the Nest and an egg to you for looking into buying an Eagle!

Coolant leaks aren't that hard to track down, as long as its not the head gasket.  Check the oil, and as long as it looks like oil and not a milkshake I say go for it.  Like Rollguy says, a water pump is a pretty straight forward job - I had to replace mine and it only took about two hours.  If its a pretty good leak out of the weep hole, I doubt you'll be able to drive it home though, you wouldn't be able to keep up with the leak.  You'd be looking at a tow dolly or a trailer, or fixing it where it is at.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Crandall1

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:23:22 AM »
Thanks for the answers. I got some further info from the seller. He says:

"My friend who looked at it is 'convinced' that it's the water pump. I guess there's a seal or something? There's something around the water pump that seals it to the hose or something like that, and he thinks it's either bent or broken. As a result, it tries to move the water/anti-freeze through the system and when it hits the pump it leaks."

Anyhow, the dude lives like a block from an AutoZone. I'm taking a mechanically inclined friend with me and his go-bag of tools; if it is indeed the water pump, we'll swap it out on-site. It looks to be in pretty good shape otherwise. You'll know the operation is a success if you see a picture in the "Your Eagle(s)" section. ;-)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:29:37 AM »
My main tip when working on a water pump is to make sure you don't poke a hole in the radiator.  Either pull it out or use some cardboard or something to protect it.  And go ahead and replace the thermostat while you're at it!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Crandall1

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
Okay, thanks for all your guys' advice. I got the water pump replaced, with only mild bruising and swearing. Protip: remember to put the drain plug back in the radiator before filling it. Protip 2: Remember to tighten the hose clamps before driving the vehicle.

Live and learn!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk