News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 04:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: opinions requested, taking a long trip this week  (Read 5968 times)

nvsteve

opinions requested, taking a long trip this week
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
Ok everyone,  I value the opinions of all esteemed Eagle owners, so please chime in on this dilemma:

Whether to use my Eagle or my Dodge diesel truck for a 1000 mile round trip from Nevada to So. Cal. this week?

Taking the Eagle would be cheaper in fuel costs than the Dodge which is why I am considering the Eagle.

The trip will involve a combination of mountain, desert, and city driving.  There are some long and steep grades on the return trip.  I worry about breakdowns, since I am not much of a mechanic, and don't relish the idea of roadside repairs in cold weather. 

I bought my 84 wagon 4 months ago.  Since then I have used it regularly and it has been reliable.   I had some issues with stalling when I bought it, but with some minor adjustments it seems to be running well enough.  I have averaged about 20 mpg in combined city/hwy driving.  I've only used it for local driving, my longest trip to date is about 100 miles total.  The car doesn't use oil, smoke, or make any funny noises other than a squeekly serpentine belt when cold.  The automatic shifts fine.  It doesn't overheat.  Suspension seems ok,  no shimmy or wobble.  So what do you think?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: opinions requested, taking a long trip this week
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »
Sounds like you could make the trip with the Eagle.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

nvsteve

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »
Guess I am getting a little bit chicken in my old age (just turned 66).  Its the uphill grades that have me concerned.  There are several on the return trip,  the most worrysome being a 12 mile pull north of Bishop CA that is notorious for devouring motors.  I once spun a rod bearing in my 88 Suburban 350 on that grade,  admittedly I was towing a boat and the weather was hot.  Ever since then I have been a little paranoid about that grade.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
I would do it in an eagle, just make sure you have a cell phone and a person in the loop that you can depend on to get ya if trouble rears it's ugly head.  A friend who has a car hauler and is nearby is helpful as well ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline iAMCheap

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • A birdsong shatters the still
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
If you take the Eagle, try to get some names and numbers of Nest members that you could call if you have problems.
The blizzard goes on but still they must fly.
No one should go Where EAGLES Dare!
       TONY
 Glen Rock, PA

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »
Take the Eagle

I would think it would be much more comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, you would have a story either good or bad to tell.

From your description of your Eagle, I would feel comfortable taking it.

dkoug

82 Eagle Limited Wagon
Love the 29 below and all the snow

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 08:56:45 AM »
The Eagle sounds like it should make it fine. Get towing insurance if you don't have some and are worried. Make sure the tires are in good condition. That is where I have had problems. Tires that are fine for a lot of short runs will come apart on long hard runs.

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »
I'd say take the Eagle (of course ;) ). Just keep an eye on your gauges (temp and oil pressure) and drive safely.

I don't know if you have the time, but a check-up (all fluids, incl. transmission, diff and t-case) would be useful.

Even in the case of a break down, take into account that the Eagle is a quite simple and "primitive" machine, and the chances of finding someone able to fix it are way higher than the ones you'd get with a "newer" and more complex car. We have plenty of room in the engine bay and under the car, we have far less (if nothing) electronics to mess with when diagnosing a fault, we can actually point out the engine's components by seeing them and identifying them for what they are. I always think about this when it comes to put my hands in the engine bay of my wife's car (a 2003 Toyota): at the beginning I had a hard time just to find the oil dipstick, leave alone diggin all the injection and electronic stuff. And, hey, it's pretty crowded in there !
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »
If you take the Eagle, try to get some names and numbers of Nest members that you could call if you have problems.
I would be happy to help out if needed.  If you have time, you could stop bye and check out the "unofficial" (former) west coast Eagle sanctuary (had 6 Eagles at one time, and many parts).  I will pm my phone#....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

nvsteve

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for the excellent responses.  I did have a closer look at my tires this morning, using the depth gauge and I have less tread than I thought,  they are all down into the caution range on the gauge.  I am now online shopping for tires.  Would like to get whitewalls for an original look but not having any luck finding them.

If I find tires I might take the Eagle on the trip.

NVSteve

Offline mccoy4131

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:29:17 PM »
I'd say if your comfortable with its current condition and reliability then go for it, if anything it will be a great opportunity to stretch its wings as long as your not on a deadline schedule. One thing is for sure, you won't be dissatisfied in the end and probably like all trips good or bad you will have lots to share when it is all said and done. Life is all about the experiances you gain along the way.

Rex

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
Remember that we have a board for what you are about to do - Eagle Gallery>Eagle Road Trips.
(Trying to drum up a little business - guess who is the moderator. ;))
My wife and I have made a few fairly long trips in our Eagles.  I always tell her to look at it as an adventure.  I'm not sure it always works, though.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk