The Shop > Gremlins

Random battery dying

(1/6) > >>

Nightpath:
Howdy all,

For the past while I've been going out to the Eagle and the battery is randomly dead. Can't seem to figure it out.

First I thought it was my bad brake light switch, swapped it out...nope.

Stereo? Replaced the Ford antique that was in there...nope.

All interior lights are unhooked (interior is gutted atm for rebuilding it).

Only thing I can think of is the headlight switch possibly shunting power straight to ground when it's turned off. I've had an issue with it already with the "daytime running lights" (switch pulled 1/2 way out).

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I'm going to try to find a replacement at my personal Eagle graveyard today but any suggestions would be ub3r.

BenM:
Gremlins like that are a pain to ferret out. Have you checked your door switches? Do you have a hood light or maybe a trunk light or hatch switch? Also, a bad diode in the alternator can do that, perhaps an alt test could eliminate that.

Nightpath:
No hatch lights, and the door switch isn't a complete circuit because the interior light is removed. Not to say that one can't be bad.

It seems that every time I use the headlights it turns into a crap shoot whether my battery is going to die or not.

Mernsy:
Unhook the battery and put an ammeter between the battery post and the cable. If it shows a draw when everything is off, pull the fuses one at a time to try to narrow it down.
If it doesn't show a draw, turn the headlight switch on and off to see what happens.

profeagle:
A simple thing to try is to disconnect the alternator overnight, not the large red wire, just the two wire plug. If battery is still good then problem is the diode trio in alt., Might be good idea to test battery also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version