News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 12:40:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stalling when turning...  (Read 6467 times)

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
stalling when turning...
« on: May 10, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »
so here's a problem that doesnt happen too often but still is embarassing when driving and everyone is watching you drive your clean but obnoxiously loud (cracked exhaust manifold)  :eaglebig: :banghead:. when driving at a slow pace, or when parked sometimes either or when the rpms are low and you turn the steering wheel all the way (sometimes not even all the way) the car stalls... anyone have any ideas? im thinking of replacing all the fuel lines and filters just as a start. id apreciate any help. oh and does anyone know if theres a company that makes a "hanes" or repair manual for this car?

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: stalling when turning...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
and the turning is always on flat/level ground.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »
Possible causes are idle too low and/or vacuum leak.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
I used to think it was both until I separated the link from the crankcase to the air cleaner. You might want to consider doing that too. Clean up your vaccuum lines and use a new air cleaner system. Excessive blowby was a worse problem for me than any vaccuum leak.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »
Possible causes are idle too low and/or vacuum leak.
it seems to idle pretty good my tach doesnt work so im just assuming its good try setting the timing a little higher possibly? ive heard someone saying its got something to do with the powersteering pump...

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
I used to think it was both until I separated the link from the crankcase to the air cleaner. You might want to consider doing that too. Clean up your vaccuum lines and use a new air cleaner system. Excessive blowby was a worse problem for me than any vaccuum leak.
see heres my dilema my buddy did me a favor and did a conversion on my carb. i have no vacuum lines currently on my car all those vacuum issues are no longer existant. only the vacuum the the transfer case is there now. she did this before the conversion as well. so im still scratching my head.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »
What carb are you using? Feedback Carter? Non-feed Carter? Motorcraft?
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
What carb are you using? Feedback Carter? Non-feed Carter? Motorcraft?
going to have to get back with you on that gonna have to wait till i get home from work to let ya know.  :( maybe a picture can tell ya?
heres whats under the hood

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
Weird, that looks like a Motorcraft. I know nothing about them other than the fact that they're the garbage used on my grandfather's trucks and they always give trouble so I don't like them. I like your air cleaner setup though. What are you using for a blowby cap on the crankcase? That looks perfect.

Anyway aside from increasing the idle speed and checking for vaccuum leaks, I'm out of ideas. I know a faulty transmission will kill my engine so there's that too but you haven't mentioned any problems with that so I'm not going to talk about it. :/
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »
I was going to suggest to follow the Eaglepedia instructions and set the timing and the idle, but you've a 21xx Motorcraft under there.

It looks like you're missing your vacuum advance line, and if so I would bet your timing has been set way to high in an attempt to compensate.

Edit: Also, your fuel filter bypass outlet should be at the top, and with your vent line plugged you'll get at least pressure buildup in your tank.

Your heater valve is missing, and if the line isn't plugged it's a vacuum leak when your heat is turned off.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:40:04 PM by BenM »
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
When the ignition box gets weak, they can stall going into corners. If the idle is too low it can stall too. Loose battery? It can hit and temp short (look for arc spots under the hood) and cause stalling.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 11:37:38 AM »
No vacuum advance run.

You have a filter on a filter on your crank case breather which is effectively a plug now (needs to breath)

Have you done the ignition mod?

Rotate your filter so the return is in the 1200 position.

Since there is no advance I'll question PCV routing since I can't see (and probably timing)
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
No vacuum advance run.

You have a filter on a filter on your crank case breather which is effectively a plug now (needs to breath)

Have you done the ignition mod?

Rotate your filter so the return is in the 1200 position.

Since there is no advance I'll question PCV routing since I can't see (and probably timing)

i put a hole in the crank case breather because it was spewing oil drops everywhere in my engine bay. it seems to be breathing fine now.
i have not done the ignition mod do you have a link for it?
k im going to rotate it before i go to work and let you know how it goes.
and this problem was going on before my buddy did the carb conversion and removed all the vacuum advances gronk.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak.  Probably at the intake manifold/block towards the rear and it sounds lie you need to advance you tming a hair AFTER DOING THE N u t t e r B y p a s s
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

rohnk

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but Gronk may be right. Have you checked the bolts on your intake manifold to ensure they are all tight? Might as well check the exhaust manifold bolts too.

Another thought, how good is your alternator? When you turn the wheels and are at low speed, the load increases on the engine to provide the hydraulic power. If your battery is weak and alternator borderline, then the voltage could drop and cause you to stall.

I may be all wet on that one, but something to consider on an older vehicle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk