News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 10, 2024, 05:33:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: starter clunk  (Read 2621 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
starter clunk
« on: July 02, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
2 days in a row, I went out in the morning to go to work and when I turned the key I heard a loud clunk under the car and the car didn't start.  I pumped the pedal again and it started up and never had any problems all day.  Does it sound like a starter going bad?  any ideas??????

Smitch

Re: starter clunk
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »
when I turned the key I heard a loud clunk under the car and the car didn't start. 

When you say "the car didn't start" do you mean that the starter didn't roll the engine over or do you mean that the engine rolled over but didn't start?

Either way, I assume you checked the wires going to the starter and you checked to make sure the starter is still firmly bolted down, right?

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »
not sure how to answer the first part of the question.  I pumped the pedal, turned the key, and you hear and feel a loud clunk. Try it a second later and it starts.  It runs and drives fine for the rest of the day. I will look into the wires and the bolts tomorrow morning when it's cooler.  I had the starter off to clean it months ago, maybe it wasn't bolted up tight enough, I hope it's something simple like that.  I was checking to see if there were any signs of a starter going bad.  It's only done it after it has sat for the night.

Smitch

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:02:40 PM »
Let me rephrase... when you hear the clunk does the engine "roll over" as if its trying to start? Or is there nothing happening except the clunk? No high pitched whine, no growl, no engine sound... just a clunk?

Remember that the function of the starter is to "roll the engine over" until it starts.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4588027_starter-work-car_.html
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:06:16 PM by Smitch »

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 09:32:51 AM »
rollover and clunk.........I checked all the wires and they are all good, I also checked the 2 bolts holding the starter and they are tight.  I can't narrow it down, since it has only done it a couple of times.  I will see if I can get someone to listen while I try to start it in the morning.  Could the noise come from the dist. at all, if it was out of time?????/

Smitch

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »
OK. So it starts to roll the engine over then it clunks? Does it stop rolling over at this point?

Could the noise come from the dist. at all, if it was out of time?????/

Highly unlikely that the clunk comes from the distributor. More likely to be the bendix drive in the starter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_drive
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:02:30 AM by Smitch »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk