News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 10, 2024, 01:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: symptoms of slipped timing chain  (Read 9088 times)

Offline lonewolf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
symptoms of slipped timing chain
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »
  I have a 1976 hornet that stalls and I was just wondering, what are the symptons of a slipped timing chain?

Offline lonewolf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: symptoms of slipped timing chain
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
How much would a new timing chain cost? Can a bad alternator make it stall out? How much would a new alternator cost? Is it easy to change out both of them?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »
"Stall out" would typically be fuel/air or ignition. Alternator wouldn't cause it unless it was seized up but you would know real quick if it was. It could be a number of things. Does it start right back up? How does it run when driving it? Could be something as simple as a bad or loose vacuum line.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
When my alternator was on its way out, the car would stall and then would not have enough battery power to crank the engine.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
When my alternator was on its way out, the car would stall and then would not have enough battery power to crank the engine.

Intersting. Sounds impossible

Check that with a voltmeter

Manitowoc WI

Offline lonewolf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »
autumnglenn says it sounds more like a slipped timing chain than something wrong with the alternator. It turns over, runs for maybe half a minute then stalls out. I got it to run for maybe three minutes, but when I put it in drive, and gave it some gas, it stalled out again. It was running fine yesterday, drove it up and down our driveway. Today, I changed the oil, it ran fine. Let it sit for maybe two hours, went back out and it started fine. Got halfway down the driveway and it stalled. :banghead:

Offline lonewolf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:02:20 PM »
And Reitan and I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines and oil filter last week. And it wasn't acting up until after we changed the oil. :banghead:

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 06:13:37 PM »

The alternator was bad. I replaced it, haven't had a problem since. Didn't fix anything except the alternator, so it was the only factor that changed.
Dan

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »

The alternator was bad. I replaced it, haven't had a problem since. Didn't fix anything except the alternator, so it was the only factor that changed.
I gotta "guess" he missunderstood what you said. It made sense to me, have had it happen on an old Dodge car once.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
On the slipped timeing - not to differ, but I would say that's not the issue. If it had slipped enough to not let it run, when it was I would think it would be running poorly, even popping through the carb or backfireing, let alone haveing a valve wack a piston by opening when it shouldn't.Maybe a fuel line isn't tight and it is sucking air on the pump inlet side , or your needle valve at fuel inlet to the carb is stuck , sounds fuel related , as in it runs out of fuel....... ? Just my thoughts.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »
Sorry I have driven a bad alt e150 25 miles. Meaning turn off everything freeze your but off.

Also different but I have driven a diesel f250 close to 50 miles with no alt belt.

My 304 eagle runs without its alt hooked up.

So long and short. Alt has nothing to do with running.

Also with what was said I replaced fuel lines on my eagle once and made a pinch point. It worked till it couldn't keep enough fuel in the bowl. Than stalled out

Manitowoc WI

Offline lonewolf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »
is it possible to pull the float needle and spray carb cleaner to clean up that whole area?

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »
 I hear ya Kicker, and agree, BUT I have had a bad altenator wich did not charge the battery till it got to a point it wouldn't supply enough juice to the coil.Would have to jump start it, keep the cables on for awhile ( thus the other car charging my battery ) and go on my way till it crapped out again.After a few rounds of that I finally got it home. My eagle wagon in the yard has no altenator belt, runs to be moved until the battery gets low, then I just charge it up and it is good to go for awhile.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »
is it possible to pull the float needle and spray carb cleaner to clean up that whole area?
It is possible to pull it out from the fitting the fuel line goes into. Remove the fuel line, then the fitting, it sits in that fitting, some had a 'rubber" end on them that would get stuck, or buggered up over time, some are solid brass. If you haven't worked on the carb itself I would guess it wasn't an internal problem, other than you may have lossened up rust etc. by working on the pump etc. , and it has found it's way into the carb or stuck at the needle valve..........

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
So long and short. Alt has nothing to do with running.

Without an alt, once the battery dies, the car will not run anymore, it needs a power source for the ignition.

I too have run mine without the alternator belt, for a few miles.
It seems strange, but it was definitely  the alternator that was my problem. It also took me a while to figure out because it didn't make sense. Also, it didn't help that my battery wasn't the best, but I'm still using that same battery with the new alt.

IIRC, 83Eagle! wrote on here that he had the same stalling problem as I did when his alt was on its way out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:45:25 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk