News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 09, 2024, 10:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: motor turns but wont start  (Read 3861 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
motor turns but wont start
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:56:15 AM »
 :help: All right...I just had my rescently acquired 86 started the other day. I went to start it again today and the thing turns over but acts like its not getting spark. The guy I got it from said there is a loose vaccum hose that pops off from time to time and if its off or loose the thing will not start....but ill be darned if I can remember which hose it was...im thought it had somthing to do with the carb...but I would have thought it would still atleast start momentarily with starting fluid...which is leading me to think there is no spark.....I am at such a loss with this vaccum stuff...Im hoping its an easy fix
While turning it over I could have sworn I saw smoke come out from the center plug of this...(what ever ya call it)
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: motor turns but wont start
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:39:24 AM »
Those three are the vaccum solenoid's that are computer controlled and are for the pulse air to the catalytic converter and the sol-vac idle control (closest to the air cleaner). If the engine will not start with starting fluid, I would think it has to be a no spark problem unless you have the distributor timing way off.

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
Try behind the air breather, on the intake manifold, near the firewall.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »
I sometimes have a problem with the hose coming off the "y" fitting on the manifold.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
Where does that hose from the Y-fitting go to? Ill have to check that...thanks jim :)

Im really affraid this problem may be electrical....some of the wires look a little rough but its hard to tell if they a fraid or bare with an inch of oil caked on them. :-\...I may have to just take a day and follow all the wires having to do with the ignition system....ill have to try messing around with the distributor too....The guy I bought it from had taken the alternator out so Im also trying to think of somthing that he may have disconnected in the process that could cause this..

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:55:55 PM »
Just so you know, on the 3 wire harness going into the distributor, the black wire is the ignition system ground. I believe it is just screwed to the engine or distributor base. If this wire gets corroded, the system will not make spark.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:51 AM »
Thanx ammachine...I am going to go check that 1st thing tomorrow before work....It would be great if it is something that simple. Ill find out in the morning....theres only so much this can be.

another question that just popped into my head...Is there any vaccum lines on these cars that are so critical they would prevent it from firing with a carb full of ethre.

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »
If the intake manifold has starting fluid in it the engine should fire without vaccum.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Thats what I was affraid of....looks more and more like an electrical issue....I guess the first course of action is to go hook up the tester and work from there

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk