News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 09, 2024, 06:32:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Post your efi/4.0 swap conversion questions here  (Read 22544 times)

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
Re: Post your efi/4.0 swap conversion questions here
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2011, 01:16:09 AM »
Hey Toug, I met a guy whos parting out a 93 jeep. unfortunatly someone has called dibs on the heads and manifolds...but the ECM is is there. The jeep has 300,000+ miles. Do ya think it would yeild a descent ECM or should I try to find one with less hours on the computer
Thanx
shane
most definitely find one with far less miles. They can be had on the 'bay for around 100 or less. Look on www.car-part.com too. go for 94 or 95
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 11:45:21 PM »
Thanx Tough!!  ;D
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2011, 01:22:22 AM »
Im not having any luck finding a low mile jeep down here....most are 180,000+ mile vehicles or completly toast. Do ya think I would be better off getting a rebuilt OBD1 and just getting the wire harness from a donor jeep?...cylinder heads also seem to be a hot item too...plenty of Renex era ones to be had though...go figure :-\

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2011, 02:21:32 AM »
i think there are still a few left at one of the local yards here.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2011, 02:54:57 PM »
There's a yard in Denver that is super cheap, you should check them out, it's worth the trip. If I had time, I'd offer to find a yard and pull parts for you, but I don't right now :( Call western auto recycling, they're off 61st and Federal,. and give U-pull-u-save a call too. Don't mistake them for pullnsave.

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2011, 11:04:25 PM »
I like cheap!! ;D Ill give them a hollar...thanks again man

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2011, 09:41:39 AM »
The guy who has my old 81 Eagle may still have the computer that I gave him with the car. He was going to go fuel injection but decided to stay with a carb. It was from a 93 with a manual transmission. I call him today and see if he still has it. I know he'll let it go cheap. Do you already have a manifold? I think he has a 91-98 intake also.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »
Hey Justin...I just found out today retapping the block involves a bit...well...alot more than just tapping they have to fill in the existing holes and then redrill....any way its like 350.00....so I think Im sticking with the 7/16. Im already into this motor about 400.00 and I really cant justify another 350.00...not right now atleast. My problem now is finding a set of 7/16 bolts...Where did you find yours.

By the way, A/C has been deleted so that top pully is no longer an issue.

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
can't you get a 7 / 16 to 1/2  bushing?
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2011, 11:53:33 PM »
I did find some bushings at Fastenall....Now I just gotta find some new 7/16 bolts. I got a bunch of old 7/16 head bolts laying around from various eagles over the years...Im just scared to death to re use them...Ive busted off head bolts before....it sucks!!

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2011, 02:18:09 AM »
Hey Toug..what tools will I need to pull the jeep computer.....How hard was it to pull the computer out of the donor jeep

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2011, 09:29:43 PM »
Hey Toug..what tools will I need to pull the jeep computer.....How hard was it to pull the computer out of the donor jeep
http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Converting_from_7/16%22_head_bolts_to_1/2%22  Writeup on rethreading the block.... There is no reason to use bushigns, it's simply drill the holes and use a turret mill to rethread. The mill is extremely expensive and the reason a shop needs to do it, but that's all that's involved...

As for the computer, should be easy, it's on the driver's side in the engine bay, you will need a nutdriver, though I don't remember what size but it's pretty common with the other small hex head bolts found in the Eagle engine bay..

You will need to follow every connector back to the sensors in the engine bay, you will have to cut wiring to the fuel pump and vss, though that will be easy enough to rewire. You can cut at the firewall plug as well.

What's your 'sona?

Offline misterwakko

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »
Can anybody help on where to put the ECM. I am doing a GM 4.3 TBI conversion and can't figure out where to put the ECM? :banghead: I wanted to put it where the original one was but it's to big.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:41:06 PM by misterwakko »
Hope for the best,
Prepair for the worst.
It's allot easier,
when you know it's going to hurt.
1985 AMC Eagle
1977 Yahaha xs750

Offline Smacaroni

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »
I did find some bushings at Fastenall....Now I just gotta find some new 7/16 bolts. I got a bunch of old 7/16 head bolts laying around from various eagles over the years...Im just scared to death to re use them...Ive busted off head bolts before....it sucks!!
Preface: on a Wagoneer, not an Eagle...
I used the air-pump "pipe" that runs from the engine bay to the cat, if you run a 7/16" tap through it, it will place nice with the bolts and it's the perfect OD to fit in the 1/2" holes. Someone removed the air pump on mine and my pipe looked like swiss cheese in some places, so I had no problem using mine.
When you're in the junk yard, find a section about a foot to a foot and a half long and cut that to fit, a little short so there's no issue with torquing the bolts to the right spec. In my case, I also used a hammer and chisel to crimp them onto the bolts.
You only need four, if you get it in position, it won't move with four, all 14 bolts is excessive.
Also, I reused my old bolts, no issues. The correct bolts are darn expensive but here's the link:
http://headbolts.com/Jeep-AMC-232-244-258-4.0-engine-head-bolts.html

As far as the cost goes, you can get a used one, have it magnafluxed, have the valves and seats ground and it won't matter how many miles are on it. It will be like new. OTOH, I got my head, valve cover, manifold and down pipe for $15 at http://eichelbergerupullit.com/ but I think the cashier made a mistake because I was quoted $60 on the phone w/o the down pipe. I was quoted $200 from a pull-it-for-u salvage yard. Just shop around.

Good luck.

ETA: I had to remove my valve cover the other day, I found out it's a royal pain in the butt to get off with the coolant lines in place and darn near impossible to get back on. I cut the corner of the valve cover near the large coolant line, enough to take a good sized chunk of it off, but still retaining the cover bolt hole which makes it much easier. I realize the Eagle firewall is different from mine, but if there's any screws that protrude through the firewall towards the area where the valve cover will be, cut them so there's almost none sticking out, this too will make assembly easier.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:25:36 PM by Smacaroni »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk